Chapter 12 - The Murderer Is Dead

~ Chapter 12 - The Murderer Is Dead ~

Maia's POV

She looked perfect in that chair. It was as if it was meant for her, she looked better in that chair than Siggy did. Aslaug looked like she stole it. But with Lagertha, it looked natural. But even though she was our new Queen, everyone over dinner was whispering about Aslaug's disappearance.

"What are you all talking about?" Ragnar spoke up from his chair.

"Aslaug's disappearance," Floki said before taking a bite of chicken.

"Perhaps she left," Lagertha suggested, looking slightly pleased.

"Or someone killed her," Floki said.

I looked around for Hakon or anyone in his family. None of them were here. This was not good because Hakon told me that he murdered Aslaug because none of the others would. I was slightly glad that he killed her. But I kept it and my joy to myself.

"Like who?" Ragnar asked Floki.

Floki glanced at me. "Hakon."

I glared at him. Bjorn took my hand, trying to calm me, but it did not help. "Are you accusing my brother of the murder of Aslaug?"

Even though he was right, I was still angry. Floki did not know him, so how could he accuse him of such a thing?

"Yes," Floki replied.

"Floki, you do know that murder is a serious accusation, yes?" Lagertha asked. Floki nodded and she looked at me. "Maia, if you know he murdered Aslaug, he and you will be executed, since you are protecting a murderer."

I was willing to risk my own life to protect my brother. "I know my brother enough to know that he would not kill someone without a fair reason, except for enemies."

Lagertha nodded and people continued to talk. I looked at Bjorn and saw that he dared not to look at me. Did he not believe me?

Bjorn stood up and stormed into our bedroom. I sighed and followed him and closed the door behind me. He glared at me. "Are you willing to kill our child just to save your brother?"

"They and you have no proof that it was him," I replied.

"Maia, we all know that it was him. Since a murderer has joined us, once someone sees him, they will kill him."

Bjorn was right, sadly. But I knew that Hakon was not going to die because I knew that he and his family left earlier today.

"We are all killers," I stated.

"Not you."

"Yes, I am. I have killed people before."

"Maia, the murderer is dead. People found him and his family this morning and killed all of them. What just happened was a test, to see if you knew or if you would tell us. And you did not do well, you are in trouble, people must think that you are a traitor now."

How could they? How could he? They killed my family! They killed children, innocent children. Tears roll down my face as their screams form in my head. Bjorn goes to hold me but I pull away from him. "No. Do not touch me, Bjorn."

Bjorn nods and leaves the room. I lied on my bed and cried myself to sleep.

~ ~ ~

I woke up with someone sitting on the bed, but it was not Bjorn. It was Odyn and Maaike, one of Hakon's sons and one of his daughters. Odyn was four and Maaike was three.

"Maia, there was a bad man who hurt the rest of my family," Odyn whispered. "But we escaped."

"They... they are ... looking for us," Maaike whispered.

"It is alright, children, I will protect you," I said and they smiled at me.

Lagertha came into the bedroom and her eyes widened when she saw them. "Who do those children belong to?"

"They were my brother's, please do not kill them," I beg.

"I would never hurt or kill children." She looked at the children. "You will sleep with the other children... Are you two hungry?" They nodded eagerly. "Let's go."

Odyn and Maaike ran out of the room and Lagertha and I followed them. I saw Bjorn standing by the door and he smiled at Odyn and Maaike.

"Maia," Lagertha said and I looked at her, "Bjorn, your brother's children and I are going to get breakfast, would you like to join us?"

All of their eyes said that they wanted me to come, but I was not sure if I wanted to be with Bjorn at the moment.

"Please come," Odyn begged.

This was the last piece of my brother that I had, I knew that I had to cherish it and live in the moment. I knew that I could talk to or avoid Bjorn after we returned. I did not want to upset my nephew and niece just because I was upset and mad at Bjorn, the father of my unborn child, Ironside.

"I will join you," I stated. Lagertha and the children smiled while Bjorn gave me a small smile before walking out of our home.

"Why is my son upset?" Lagertha asked me, concerningly but not accusingly.

"Because I am angry," I said. "My brother is dead, how could I not be?"

She nods and we join Bjorn outside. The two of them ran through out the market, looking and taking samples from different foods and different shacks. Lagertha chased after them, not wanting them to get lost. But Bjorn just walked slowly behind them, not looking at anything or saying anything. Finally, he broke the silence. "Why are you angry with me when I did not kill your brother?"

"Because you knew and you did not stop them," I said honestly.

"I only found out after they were killed, I thought everyone was killed. I did not know his children escaped." He looked at me. "Why are you still upset?"

"Because you should have told me as soon as you knew."

He sighed. "You are right, I should have not kept it from you. He is your brother, I did not even know him."

Bjorn took my hand and I looked up at him, to see that he was looking down at me. He pressed me up against a house and kissed me, with one of his hands touching my swollen stomach.

Lagertha was right.
Bjorn and I could not be away from each other for a long time.

A/N:

And the chapter has a happy ending! Yay or nay?

I just wanted to give a shout out to owllgg for getting this book to 100 comments! Thx!

Also, Bjorn and Maia's baby will be born in the next chapter! Yay!

Anyway, how was chapter 12? Please comment your opinions and suggestions on what should happen next.

Follow

Vote

Comment

Keep on reading!

- Em