Let's Play a Game. I Call it Lost

I woke up in a cold sweat. I had the nightmare again. I closed my eyes again and sighed. If I only I could erase that horrible memory from my mind, then I wouldn’t have these nightmares. I heard music playing from my iPod. Wait, I never got it out. Andy! God! That boy is infuriating! The knot in my stomach formed from my fear was still there. I shook off thoughts about Andy and focused on going back to sleep. Right as I was on the verge of unconsciousness someone entered the room. There were rustling noises, the person was walking towards me. New fear scratched its way to the surface, but I just pretended to be asleep. I was fully awake. He couldn’t hurt me anymore. There was thud that made me jump.

                “Good lord child! What are you doing on the floor?” It was Nan. I released the air that I had been holding in. She must’ve tripped over Andy.

                There were more rustling noises. Andy must have got up. “I’m sorry. I’ve been instructed to sleep somewhere not on the bed.”

                Nan scoffed, “Would this be Marcie’s doing.”

                “I told you she didn’t like me touching her. She was having nightmares last night. I tried to wake her up, but she pushed me away. She seemed really scared.”

                There was silence as Nan was probably thinking about what she was going to say. “She had a bad experience a couple of years ago. She was-“

                Panicked swelled in my chest, she couldn’t tell him about that. He couldn’t know. I stirred in the bed making a whimper noise and sat up. “Hey guys. What’s for breakfast?” I said faking a groggy voice. Andy looked at me like he somehow knew that I didn’t want him to know about that. My grandmother shifted her eyes from him to me.

                “Strawberry pancakes with bacon and eggs.”

                I smiled and licked my lips. Nan made the best pancakes, and even though I could only eat two at the most, sometimes not even two, I loved them. “With whip cream right?”

                “Of course! Andy, you like pancakes right?”

                Andy nodded. “Yes ma’am.”

                The look on her face was priceless. I almost laughed. “Don’t call me ma’am dear. Call me Nan.” I could tell Andy was about to laugh too. She walked out of the room shaking her head and muttering, “Ma’am, hmph! What an atrocious word.”

                When she left we both let out a little laugh. “So Marcie, what was your grandmother about to tell me?”

                I cocked my head to the side and made myself look curious, “What are you talking about?”

                “Oh, don’t pretend.”

                “I’m not pretending.”

                Andy sighed, “You’re so difficult.”

                I grinned, “Thank you!”

                He rolled his eyes, “Well if you don’t mind, I’m going to get dressed.” Andy grabbed his bag and did a weird sassy walk into the bathroom.

                I giggled. He was so weird. I took the opportunity to throw on some fresh clothes and head to the kitchen. The smell of bacon wafted through the house. I took in a deep breath and went to sit at the table. “Good morning Marcie.”

                “’Morning Pop.”

                “I heard you made your friend sleep on the floor.”

                I shrugged and grabbed a plate. I took two pancakes from a large plate and piled the fresh strawberries on top. I covered the top with whip cream and put bacon and eggs on the side. Andy came into the room practically drooling.

                “This smells delicious! My parents never make breakfast.”

                “Then you eat as much as you want! You’re going to the need the energy today.”

                I paused from eating my meal, “What are we doing?”

                “Oh, you’ll see,” my grandfather said mysteriously and sat at the table. I ate my delicious food thinking about what we could possibly do. There was canoeing, but it was to chilly for that. I couldn’t seem to draw anything that required energy to mind. When everyone was done with their food Andy and I were blind folded and taken to the car. We drove for quite awhile before the car stopped. I was helped out of the car and onto what I thought was a bed of pine straw.

                “Don’t take the blind folds off until I say so!” I heard my grandfather say. Weird, he sounded far away. I heard the car door shut.

                “Okay, take them off.” We did as we were told. I looked around me and saw we were standing in the middle of the woods.

                “What’s going on?” I asked concerned.

                “We are going to play a game.”

                “What kind of game?”

                “It’s called Lost.”

                I didn’t like the sound of this. “How do you play?”

                “The rules are simple. All you have to do is find your way back to our house, but you can’t speak to one another.”

                “Why are we playing this?” Andy asked curiously.

                “It teaches you survival skills and you can get to know each other better.”

                I really don’t like this game. What if something bad happened? I didn’t like being alone in the woods, at least not anymore. Not since- I shook the thought away. No, I was going to think about that. Not now, not ever. Something was seriously wrong with my grandparents. I mean, who strands their teenage granddaughter out in the woods with a teenage boy, especially when it’s cold?

                “Well, we’re off! Have fun!”

                The two of us stood there gaping as my demented grandparents drove away. How could they possibly think we were going to have fun outside in the cold? Was this really happening? I pinched myself just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. Nope, that hurt. I’m awake. This was happening. They were really doing this. They were really leaving me in the woods. Alone, well with Andy, but that was even worse. The realization of that hit me. I would be spending the whole day alone with Andy. This was bad. This was really bad. I don’t think I can do this. I looked at Andy who was watching me, trying to figure out what I was thinking. I can’t do this. I took off running into the damp, cold woods. Now I was totally alone.