|Notices & Invoices|

I walked back into my apartment after checking my mail. I looked through the envelopes and flyers to find the letter from my parents, and another notice from my landlord. He had kept raising the rent and I was at wits end as it was. If I wasn't still paying off my student loans from my photography courses, I would've been able to afford it.

I set the notices on the coffee table, and turned on Pandora on my phone, as I went into the kitchen to make some dinner. Being that most of my paychecks paid for this apartment, I barely had any money to buy food other than flour, water, eggs, milk, and top ramen. I survived off of noodles or pasta every night. I splurged when I could afford pizza at the local pizza parlor across the way.

I put some ramen on the stove, and got a bowl from the cabinet, hoping that I still had some crackers left so I had at least something to eat with my noodles. I put the pot on low heat and went back into the living room. I turned on the TV and set it to some show I could binge-watch on Netflix.

I looked at the clock on the cable box and noticed that it was already 7:30. "Shit," I mumbled to myself as  I went into the kitchen to turn off the burner. The noodles were mush. I groaned, putting the noodles in a bowl, and setting it on the coffee table before I headed into the bathroom to make my charcoal mask.

I washed off my makeup from that day and washed my face once more before putting the mask on. It took about twenty minutes, so I figured I'd have enough time to eat my dinner before I had to wash it off. I sighed, heading back into the living room and jumped on the couch, finishing up my episode of Pretty Little Liars before I had to wash the mask off.

The noodles tasted bland. I looked at the mushy noodles in front of me, and mentally slapped myself. I worked my ass off and followed my dreams to be eating top ramen every night, and work ten hours shifts at a café and can barely afford my apartment. What the actual fuck. I sighed, finishing my noodles and putting the bowl in the sink before washing my mask off in the bathroom.
I retreated back to the living room, playing another episode, as pulled my hair into a messy bun, holding onto the letters from my parents in my hand. I left the TV on, opening the one from my mum.

Dear Olivia,

How are you, sweetheart? I've missed you so much. Your brother has been asking when you'll come visit. I hope that it's soon, darling. Why haven't you replied back since I sent those checks? Those are for your benefit, angel. I've only been trying to help.
Write back soon. Michael says he loves you. We miss you.
Love,
Mom.
PS: that man I was telling you about, we've been dating for a few months. He's great. Michael really likes him,
PPS: he's proposed, and there's another little on the way. I hope it's a girl. I'll keep you posted xoxo lots of love.

I smiled, knowing that she wanted the best, but her best was to help herself. My younger brother, Michael, was in 3rd grade. He was devastated when I left for college, but I kept in touch with him more than mum. I went on to the next letter, which had about two in one envelope. Most likely, one was from dad and the other was from my sister, I could tell by the handwriting. Dad's had always been a messy print. Hers was a bit crooked yet cursive.

Dear Livvy,

I hope you're doing okay. I know mum sent her letters probably earlier today, but I've just been busy with your sister and her many activities. She decided to take after you and take up cheer. We miss you, Liv. Please, put those checks I send to good use. I know you won't take advantage of it, but that should pay for rent and maybe some nice things for you to do. I love you, and so does your sister. Maya keeps talking about how she wants to do great just like you.

Respond back soon. We love and miss you so much.
Love,
Daddy & Maya

I set the letters on my nightstand, set my phone to go off at 6am tomorrow morning, and pulled the covers over my body. I clutched the pillow, falling into sleep.