Chapter 4

Chapter 4  

"Mo you like this ?"  

I looked up from my phone and saw my mother holding up a black dress . It looked like most of the thread on it was missing. I chuckled .  

"Ma that dress is gonna reveal every damn thing on my body"  

"not for you heffa ! Its for me!" she said holding it up to her body and looking down at it satisfied.

"ew ma" I laughed.  

We had been shopping all morning for dresses to wear to my uncles annual party tonight . I was too busy texting Tragedy to pick anything up. Its been two days since ive been home and Trag and I have been texting non stop since that night at his ice cream shop. We talk about everything under the sun from future dreams to past skeletons. Hes real cool and a really good friend. Within two days I've learned he has no family other then his brother and father, he has no friends other then the people he does business with both legal and illegal.  Hes never been in a serious relationship because his mom wasnt in his life he doesn't know how to treat a women so he rather wait but none the less he respects my situation although we do flirt here and there I just enjoy the conversation.    

Tragedy: you havin fun with mama love ?

Me: No Trag shes driving me crazy lol she thinks shes my age  

Tragedy: lol well ima see you when you head back this way right ?  

Me: yea for a quick second I been dyin for some ice cream  

Tragedy: cool  

I smiled at my texts then continued to search for my dress for tonight. Every year when my uncle throws these parties he usually has one during the day for the kids then he rents out a large hall for the adults with a nice patio and lights every where.  you have to be 21 and older to get in, this is my first year going and luckily for me my uncle Toi is making an exception for me and my girls.  

"well what color are you looking for Mo ?" my mom asked as she paid for her black dress. I still can't believe shes goin to wear that. 

"I dont know. I want something different. "  

This affair is more a grown and sexy event.  everyone in Harlem steps out dressed to impressed.  I havent even asked Tragedy if hes goin.  I don't know if hes into big crowds.  

"ma is Gib goin tonight ?" I asked referring to my step father  

"I sure hope not" she laughed  

My mother was promiscuous back in the day so its some habits she still cant shake. Even though she's never cheated on my step dad she does do a hell of a lot of flirting , but its all innocent fun.  

After another hour of shopping my mother and I decided to wrap things us so we can get ready.  She and I would be getting dressed at Kims along with Kia so we can all step on the scene together of course. The rest of my group would have to meet us there.  

"hopefully you find a man tonight" she said as I merged onto the highway  

I looked at her then looked away. She doesn't know Ratchet and I aren't together.  No one knows. There's no point in talking about it when nine times out of ten we'll end up back together ... Like we always do.  

"Ma I have a man" I sighed  

"no mora you have a boy" she said rolling her eyes

"ok ma" I said hoping she'd change the subject  

"Amora just because you've been with him long doesn't mean you have to stay with him. I mean shit your life isnt over your only 20." she lectured