Chapter 28

Follow, Comment, Vote for a dedication

Chapter 28

Addy's POV

We piled into three different SUV's. It was better this way because I didn't want to draw too much attention to us. In the middle car held myself, Jonathan, Paul and three other guards. My father always traveled in the middle. Behind us was Caden, Kat and some guards. In front was maybe six or seven guards. Everyone else was given their jobs at home or following behind at a distance.

The sun was going down slowly. Reds and dark oranges colored the sky as if it was also getting ready for war. The glare of the sun was blocked by trees that we zoomed past. Beautiful.

But it made me begin to think. What was I getting myself into? Could I seriously be on my way to kill my own blood. I took a deep breath. There was no way I could have these thoughts now. Nothing was going to stop me from doing what I had to do. Then another thought settled in.

I could die today.

My own father basically said as much. Maybe he didn't have as much faith in me as I thought he did. I let out another silent sigh. And it surely was a possibility. Eva had been trained too. Was she ready to die. Was I? I mean, I have the Boss title in my hands, I have actual friends I care about, a man that I love. Could I leave this all behind?

"What are you thinking about?" Jonathan whispered in my ear.

I looked at his face. It was lit up by the warmth of the sunset. Smiling lightly I shook my head. "Just looking at the sunset." For maybe the last time, but I didn't add that. Jonathan took my hand and squeezed it softly. I realized then that I wouldn't let anything happen to these people. They didn't deserve it.

We pulled up about a quarter mile to Alina's house. The car stopped and we got out. The sun was even lower in the sky now. I couldn't help but notice it was acting like some kind of stopwatch. Counting the time before I...

I cleared my throat and got the first team together. "Paul and Nina, you two are gonna stay here and hack into the system to open the basement door. Both of you are professionals at this so it shouldn't be that hard but I need you both to act fast. Very fast. You said the phone detonator worked, right?"

Paul nodded. "Definitely. The sensor is green which means it was a success."

"Great. So, work with Nina and make sure you have contact with me at all times." I said firmly.

They both nodded. For once, Paul was in the presence of a woman and didn't feel the need to flirt. It made me proud. This family changed more people than I realized.

The other car pulled out and emptied. In total now Me, Jonathan, Kat, Caden, and twelve guards stood around. I faced Kat and Caden. "You guys have to distract the front guards."

Kat smirked. "Exactly what do you mean by distract?"

I rolled my eyes. "I don't know. Pretend to be a fighting couple or anything. Just get there attention and the guards I'll send with you will take care of the rest. Once you're in, you have to come back here immediately."

Caden and Kat nodded. I sighed and gave them both a hug. "Be careful guys."

Caden nodded and Kat pulled me into another hug. "You be careful, Addy. I want to be able to make fun of your bruises tomorrow."

I let out a small laugh and pulled away but made no promises. Kat must have realized because she quickly grabbed my arms. Hard. "Addy promise me. You are not going to die today!"

I looked away and peeled her off of me. "I can't make that promise Kat." I said softly.

A tear ran down her face. "Can't or won't?"