The Surprise Party

We had to find a way to break in, normally we would just use a pencil or a credit card to break through the latch, but that wasn't working. It was before 7:00am and the school was so quiet you could hear a pin drop on the dusty floors. We searched the school trying to find someone, anyone who would let us in. Today was Mia's birthday and we wanted to throw her a surprise party. When she arrived at the school, late for first period as usual, we would be waiting in the dark chorus room all decorated with streamers and balloons. Eventually we managed to release the lock and feverishly decorated the room. The look on her face was going to be priceless. The bells started going off, signaling we would be late for class, but none of us cared. We heard her messing with the keys and opening the lock about 10 minutes past the start of the school day. The light flickered on and we burst out in song. She was so surprised, we were all glowing for the rest of the day. She retired at the end of the year, it broke our hearts to see her go.

Without Mia I wouldn't have had the courage to step up on stage and sing, or read lines written by the greatest playwrights. Thanks to her I seemed to always find myself under the bright glare of the warm stage lights, reciting the strong words of others. You know, I've always loved the energy of a theater. The buzz of whispers and music creating a constant pulsing. It's the kind of energy you have to experience for yourself I guess.