Chapter 1

Septimus Heap woke to his House Mouse tapping on his nose. "Alright, alright," he said as he saw the note in its hands.

Dear Septimus,

Please meet me in my study at noon exactly. There is something I want to discuss with you.

Marcia

Septimus glanced at the clock. It was nine o'clock. He had only three hours until his 'appointment'. He wondered what Marcia wanted to talk to him about.

                                                                                   ------  

"Okay, Jackson, stop bringing the poodle. I don't know what's wrong with you!"

I was in theater, practicing for my school's production of Romeo and Juliet (it was torture) when my teacher yelled at me. I glanced at the teacher and saw Mrs. O'Leary chewing on the curtains.

Oh gods.

"I honestly don't know why the poodle keeps coming," I said, "but I'll take it home. Come on, Mrs. O'Leary!"

I heard the other kids snigger at the name, but Mrs. O'Leary coming to school two times in a row? That was definitely unusual.

I started to follow Mrs. O'Leary outside. "Hey, slow down!"

                                                                                   ------  

"Harry! Get up, we're going to Diagon Alley today."

Harry Potter sat up abruptly. He rubbed his eyes and fumbled for his glasses. "What time is it, mate?"
"It's three to seven, Mum was getting worried about you sleeping in, she wants to get there early. Here's your breakfast." said his best friend, Ron Weasley.

"Thanks," Harry said as he started on his breakfast.

Thirty minutes later, Mrs. Weasley called everyone down. "This time, we'll be using the Floo network to get to Diagon Alley," she said. "Arthur couldn't get us a car."

"I liked the cars though," Fred complained.

"Shut your mouth, you know that you didn't like the cars," George said.

"Harry, dear, you first. Fred, George, stop bickering."

Harry reached in the flowerpot, threw the powder in the flames, carefully folded his glasses and stuffed them in his pocket, and stepped in. "Diagon Alley!" he shouted.