seven. but you say im just a friend

Artist: Mario
Song: Just A Friend

The windowless car was once again filled with music as they drove back to the university campus.

Neither of them uttering a word to one another and that once comfortable vibe being replaced with a somewhat tension.

Not the aggressive kind or sexual...just tension.

Maybe more of an awkwardness?

Either way, it was a different environment inside the car from the first ride and it was quite obvious.

Cole kept his eyes on the road, not daring a peek at the girl in the passengers.

Lillie snuck a few looks at the boy but didn't even let her eyes stay too long in fear he'd catch her looking.

So, as Mario sung about a girl who only wanted to be his friend despite his feelings for her, coincidently enough, they remained silent and let his soulful voice do all the talking.

Cole felt he was to blame for the now, probably, ruined relationship between the two. It was him who got caught up in the moment and allowed himself to be swayed by it.

He rolled his eyes just from the thought, turning on his blinker to switch lanes.

But how could he not want to kiss the pretty girl who loves art, had the smoothest caramel skin, the softest looking hair, and big coffee colored eyes?

Oh, he knew, by her being barely legal and him being adult.

The boy decided he wasn't going to keep dwelling on the past or at least he wasn't going to think about it further. So, he reached a hand to turn the volume up to hopefully drown his thoughts but he jumped when another came in contact with his own.

Lillie mimicked his reaction, pulling her hand back completely and on her lap.

She, too had been thinking back on the roof incident. Well, the almost incident.

Her disobedient mind focused on the way his lips parted as he leaned into her.

How she saw him in a whole new perspective with him being so close.

The mole she discovered that was located just to the left of philtrum.

The light blonde stubble on his chin and above his upper lip.

Those kaleidoscope irises she's come familiar with quite fast.

It was hypnotizing being so close up to the boy who was a work of art in the girl's eyes.

But just when she thought she'd get a taste of a masterpiece, he pulled away with a blink of his colorful eyes.

And that alone made the girl roll her eyes. So, to clear her thoughts, she decided to let Mario disrupt her wandering mind.

Which leads to the current situation where they're both shook and regretting even going for the stupid knob.

"My bad." Lillie mumbled, looking down at her lap. Cole wanted to pick her head up and let her know it's okay but he already caused enough damage.

So he answered smoothly, "S'okay, Lily pad." Though he had just flinched not so smoothly. He turned the knob a bit to raise the volume just enough to drown the silence and his ongoing mind.

The girl smiled, a small one, as she fiddled with a random string on her shirt. She's gotten used to the nickname already and it was literally only ten hours of knowing him.

It kind of bothered her it's been so short yet she was comfortable, not at this exact minute, but comfortable being around the older boy.

He made it easy, though, with his witty remarks and sarcastic tone.