New Friendship to Save an Old One

After a few minutes of being in the bathroom, someone knocked on the door. I didn’t move towards the door to open it. I feared that it would be Niall. I had no intentions of seeing or talking to him at the moment.

                “Gabby, are you okay? Can I come in?” asked my boyfriend from the other side of the door. I opened the door and immediately hugged him, hiding my face in his shoulder to keep me from crying again. He hugged me tightly, rubbing my back to comfort me.

                “Let’s go to bed,” he whispered into to my ear.

                “What about your friends?” I asked him.

                “They left. They knew something was wrong and that you needed me to give you my full attention,” he said, giving me a small smile.

                I returned the smile, and we went to my room. Usually, when Josh was in town, he would stay the night at his parents’ house, but he decided to stay the night with me. We were lying on my bed underneath the blankets watching Les Miserables.

                “Gabby?” Josh questioned quietly.

                “Hmm,” I responded.

                “Why did you react the way you did when you saw Niall?”

                I took a deep and shakily exhaled. “I’ve known Niall for a while now.”

                “How did you guys meet?”

                “I met him in America in California. He was there with his band. I never actually met them until today.”

“What happened between the two of you?”

“We were dating. He never liked to be too close to me or hold my hand whenever we went out. The only time we actually acted like a couple was when we were at the house that I shared with my best friend. After he left, I felt miserable. Despite the fact that we never acted like a couple in public, I loved him, and I felt incomplete when he left. I told my best friend, and she said that if I loved him that much to move to England with him. I did, and let’s just say he hurt me. I don’t want to get to into it. It makes me very emotional.”

“Okay,” he said, holding on to me a little tighter and eventually falling asleep. I smiled at him. He looked absolutely adorable when he was asleep. I cuddled into him, trying to get comfortable and go to sleep. This is what I love about Josh. He was never scared to show anyone how much he loved me unlike Niall.

The next morning, I woke up, alone. I looked around my room and found a note on my nightstand. I read the note and smiled. It read: Gabby, I had to go to work. I’ll see you later. Love you, Josh.

I got out of bed and went into the kitchen to find something to eat. I couldn’t stop smiling. It was so sweet that Josh had left a note for me. The day went by as I did nothing. I had nothing to do. I couldn’t talk to Josh because he was at work. I couldn’t call my best friend because she was in college in America, so I never knew if she was asleep or in class. I watched the clock with less excitement than yesterday. I love Josh, but he was probably going to bring his mates with him again. I wouldn’t mind it at all if Niall wasn’t one of them.

I sighed as I heard a knock on my door. I got up from the couch and went to open it. Like I predicted, Josh had brought his mates. I hugged Josh and greeted each one of his mates with a smile, except for Niall. I was purposely ignoring him.

We decided to watch a movie. I let Josh and the boys pick. They picked a scary movie. I hated them, but I complied with the boys’ wish. Josh and Niall both knew I hated scary movies, but Josh only liked to watch them, so I could cuddle with him. Before we began watching the movie, Josh went to get some popcorn and some drinks. Liam, Louis, and Zayn went to help him, and Harry went to the bathroom. Basically, I was left alone with Niall. Just my luck.

We sat there in silence for a while, each of us at the ends of the couch. I felt something shift on his side of the couch, but I didn’t want to look over to see what he was doing. I suddenly felt him sit down next to me. I stared at something that was in the opposite direction that he was.

“Gabby, can we talk?” he asked.

I looked at him and slightly nodded.

“Josh told me that you told him about what happened between.”

“I—”

“Look, I don’t want what happened between to come in between my friendship with Josh. Would you consider trying to be friends?”

I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t know if I could be friends with him. He hurt me. I looked at him. I could see in his eyes that he really cared about his friendship with Josh, so I agreed.

“Sure,” I said. He smiled widely. It was a smile I hadn’t seen in a while, and to be honest it made me feel something towards him that I hadn’t felt in a while.

No, I can’t. I have Josh. I don’t need Niall anymore. All we have now is a new friendship to save his friendship with Josh.

(A/N: Well, here's Chapter 2. Hope you like it.)