Chapter 2

A week later, I am still in the hospital. By now, I have been informed of all my injuries: some bad burns on my chest and back and, worst of all, my left leg from the knee down was burned so badly that it had to be amputated and replaced with a prosthetic. I haven't walked on it yet, but I plan to today or tomorrow. Scott visits me everyday and slowly I am getting to know him, supposedly again. The familiar feeling still sits in me whenever he is there, but I can't put any memories with it. My thoughts seem to be like blank pages of a book. There is nothing there. When I am alone, I try to remember my mother, or my twin sister, Abigail, that Scott told me about. He showed me a picture of my whole family from years ago, when I was only ten. My younger sister, Lyssa, hadn't been born yet, but my mother was pregnant with her. I recognize my father as the man who came into my room and grabbed me on my first night in the hospital, the man that Alex stopped. In the picture, he and my mother look so happy, and Abigail and I are standing side by side in front of them. They each have a hand on one of our shoulders, and all our smiles are genuine.

****

Periodically, Scott comes in and starts rambling about my life. I asked him to tell me as much as he can, because something could trigger my memories, but nothing comes. All I have is his word. Alex has tried to visit, too, but always ends up leaving quickly because it is too hard for him. Today when he comes in, I say, "Are you going to stay for more than two minutes today?" I sound angry, but that's not how I meant it.

"I don't think you want me to."

"Look, just because I don't love you anymore, or because I don't remember our relationship doesn't mean that I don't want your company. You keep telling me that this is hard for you, but how hard do you think it is for me? I don't even remember my twin sister. I don't remember my parents. I don't remember my life at all before six days ago. So, yes, I realize that it's hard for you, but I can guarantee, it's a lot harder for me." I sigh and take a steadying breath. "Just...please, sit down, and talk. I want to hear you talk." He takes the metal chair from the corner of the room and brings it next to my bed.

"What do you want me to talk about?"

"You. Just tell me about you."

"Okay. So-" He is cut off by an angry looking Scott standing in the doorway, fuming.

"Get out." he growls at Alex.

"What? I'm confused."

"You know what you did. Now, get out." I look back and forth, utterly confused, between Scott and Alex.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Alex says. Scott walks over and grabs him by the back of the neck, jerking him up. He throws the smaller boy to the floor and his head hits it with a terrifying crack. Alex screams as Scott lands his first blow to his face.

"Scott, stop!" I scream, feeling useless and helpless. After thinking quickly, I swing both legs over the side of the bed, the left with more difficulty. Scott continues to hit Alex mercilessly. I stand on my right leg first, and then the left. As soon as I try to walk, my knee buckles and I face plant on the hard tile floor. My small cry grabs Scott's attention and he moves away from Alex, who is now bloody and hurt.

"I can't stand." I say, trying to bend my left leg. He wraps an arm around me and helps me sit on the bed again. A doctor walks in and immediately looks horrified by what he sees.

"Young man, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. You are no longer allowed to visit Mr. Grassi. What's your name?" he says to Scott.

"Scott Hoying." Scott says quietly, getting up to leave before anyone can make him. The doctor calls several more in and they cart Alex out. Soon after, a young girl who looks to be about my age walks in with a mop and a bucket.