Six

Like any other normal day, you were working in the hospital after a not-so-satisfactory breakfast consisting of oatmeal considering you forgot to buy strawberries and bananas to accompany them. You admitted to yourself that you didn't have time to go grocery shopping, not after countless sleepless nights trying to ensure your sister was getting better at an optimum rate and made sure she ate regularly. It was a long and hard fought battle in itself to convince her that she was discouraged to consume any red meat, in fear the scars endured from the car accident might fade away unsuccessfully. You knew how heavily she weighed her appearance, since with her 'profession' as a Youtuber she had to pull a pretty front in order to attract potential viewers. And, without a doubt, a big ugly scar across her face didn't do much to appeal to the masses. You wrinkled your nose in distaste at how shallow society had become, yet you succumbed to female beauty standards by applying makeup every day before hurrying off to work, anyway. Controversial, that's what everything was.

The day passed by in a blur, as it was a particularly slow moving day that required minimal sensory input, for you were constantly just inspecting health reports completed by nurses and health assistants regarding your previous patients that went under your wing to carry out multiple kinds of surgeries. It was advised to keep track of their progress, in case they needed anything or felt slightly under the weather that meant something had went wrong or was diagnosed inaccurately.

The only notable thing that happened before lunch break was a patient that spewed his stomach contents all over your lap as you checked up on him. He vomited the entire serving of his lunch, looking like a disgusting mass of mush that you didn't dare look at in case you introduced your stomach contents to the patient instead. Hurriedly, the nurse apologising for her lack of care that led you to this untimely messy disaster, you went to clean up, only to be said sorry at many times when you returned.

After that, you honestly had nothing else better to do, until you were reduced to getting coffee for Calsifer. And you never get the coffee.

"Hey!" Calsifer called from behind you, then proceeded to sit on the seat opposite, facing you as he gently grabbed the other lukewarm coffee from you, thanking profusely for your unprecedented display of hospitality. He produced a sandwich from his pocket, (you couldn't fathom how it would have fit in that tiny space) and asked you if you wanted anything that he could get for you.

"It's nothing, really. I'm not that hungry." You waved your hands in dismissal, then leaned forward in mild interest at Calsifer. "Is that egg mayonnaise?"

"Yeah." He nodded.

Without thought, your eyebrows raised in confusion. "But you hate mayonnaise."

"I'm surprised you actually remembered," His tone was of genuine surprise as he reeled back a little too melodramatic, and he hit into the person behind seated on a chair. The doctor in question looked at Calsifer in annoyance, sending him daggers as he pushed his chair nearer to the table, avoiding the other as much as possible. After the episode, he scratched his head awkwardly, evading eye contact as he openly admitted, "I got into a fight with Meredith lately, and this is her plot for revenge, I guess."

You tightened your lips into a thin line, incomprehensive of the mechanics of a romantic relationship, as you leaned back against your chair and crossed your arms. "I'm feeling charitable today, actually." You stopped, then asked in a questioning, near uncertain manner, "Do you want to talk about it?"

He shook his head. "It isn't anything big. But I do have a plan to apologise."

As your curiosity spiked up, more volatile than before, Calsifer looked at you through narrowed eyes, speculating and suspicious of your abrupt change in behaviour towards what you strictly call as 'only colleagues', as he laced his fingers and set his elbows on the table, an aura of near sinister intention radiating from the young doctor.