Chapter 5

Maximus King

He stood there watching the busy world from his sky-high office. He was a man with no time to pass, but whenever he got some free time, all he would want to do was gaze out and watch the world functioning beneath him, with his glass of fine scotch in his hand.

That day was a different one. Even though it seemed as if he was just standing there in daze, he was actually working, thinking about his future— his future, which was going to be interrupted by a nobody.

As much as he wanted to think that this was good for both of their lives, it was the complete opposite that came into his mind.

He was Maximus King after all.

He loved his lifestyle way too much to throw it away for some silly arrangement made by his grandfather. He was used to dating beautiful, leggy models, actresses, and heiresses with high status in society. He always kept it physical and avoided being tied down in a relationship with any of the women he dated. They fulfilled his bodily desires, and vice versa.

Now everything was spoiled, all because of her. He'd be expected to give up everything and settle down. Oh, but all of them were in for a huge surprise. He was not going to give up anything for some little girl Ornelia Dawson.

He had seen her pictures and saw her in person at her graduation a few days previously. She was kind of a plain Jane, with plain brown hair and a small frame of maybe five feet. She looked like a child if compared to any of the women he had dated or bedded. In fact, she was still a child—only twenty-one years old—whereas he was twenty-nine, eight years her senior.

"Maxie boy," came a familiar voice of his best friend and his business associate, Ethan Mars. "What are you thinking about so much, my friend?" Ethan asked.

"I am expected to be married to a total nobody. What do you think?" he asked rhetorically. He heard Ethan sigh.

"I know, man. I mean, I would feel the same if I were you. But just try to understand from her point of view. I am sure she isn't happy either. It is all too sudden for her as well, Max."

Maximus gave a sarcastic snort and shot Ethan a yeah-right look. "She is a commoner, Ethan. Like every other woman, all she'll want is my money, my status, and most importantly the title of 'The Lady Who Bagged Maximus King.' I cannot let that happen. Her achieving this would make my life eerily similar to my father's. I do not want any more gold-diggers around me," Maximus spit in disgust. He saw Ethan visibly wince at his harsh words.

"Why don't you just try talking to her?" Ethan suggested. "Maybe you can talk her out of it. It's just some money, man. Think of it as charity."

Maximus sighed and replied, "It is of no use. If I don't marry her, the empire that I restored after grandpa's retirement will be taken away from me, which I cannot allow to happen. And as far as charity goes, I'd rather give it to someone who will make good use of it, because I can't use that money, and neither can she, ." Maximus had a frown covering his sharp features. He could not let her have his money. He would not entertain money-hungry wh*res.

"You are stuck, dude!" Ethan exclaimed.

Maximus just nodded quietly. His grandfather had played a masterstroke against him. He was stuck, and it didn't seem like there was a way out. Ornelia Dawson would have to face his wrath. He would not let her ruin his life.

* * *

Ornelia was tired, like dead tired. She just wanted to reach home and give in to the confines of her bed and dream about happy things, which she doubted she would ever have. Her mother was driving her crazy. She'd literally driven her from one bridal store to another to find a dress that would look just "perfect" on her, because after all, it was still a wedding.

Ornelia didn't understand the necessity of this. If it were in her hands, she would get married in a pair of baggy jeans, an oversized T‑shirt, and a pair of comfortable sneakers. However, at the end of the day those were only fantasies, just like in a perfect world, where Ornelia could have been able to marry out of love.

But hey, does a perfect world even exist? Ugh! Probably not.

She felt like screaming out loud because of the frustration. Thank goodness, she was going to get married only once. She would never—even in the name of God—think of going through all of this torture again.

"Mom, are we done yet?" Nella asked.

"Geez, I have never seen such a cold bride, not excited about her wedding at all. Nella, grow up! You will be someone's wife soon. You cannot go around whining about everything. And yes, we are done," her mother snapped at her.

"I just asked a question. You didn't have to lecture me about it. And it's not like I am marrying out of choice. Sorry that I am a cold bride, Ma," she murmured under her breath.

"What was that, young lady? Ornelia, I know all of this is not what you chose, but let's make the best out of it, yeah?" her mother asked her.

Ornelia had to bite her tongue to stop herself from answering her mother back. She didn't want to

* * *

In the car, Ornelia was in her own world, gazing out the window. She snapped out of her daze when she felt the car stopping. She quickly got out of it and made a dash for her bedroom. She heard her mother shout for her from the car, but she paid no heed. When she reached her room, she discarded her clothes and changed into a T-shirt—four sizes bigger than her size—and some comfortable shorts.

Sleep. Who knows when you'll get peace again!

That was her last thought as she drifted into a dreamless sleep.