[EXCLUSIVE] MONSTA X ON THEIR MAMA WIN AND MESSAGE TO MALAYSIAN FANS

Monsta X (몬스타엑스) is a hip hop boy group formed by Starship Entertainment in 2015. The group consists of seven members; Shownu, Wonho, Minhyuk, Kihyun, Hyungwon, Jooheon, and I.M.

Just 7 months after debuting, Monsta X nabbed their first award at Mnet Asia Music Award (MAMA) recently and K-popped! had the opportunity to sit down and have a fun chat with the boys. Without further ado, let’s check it out!

If you can describe Monsta X in 3 words, it would be…

Kihyun: Freedom, Hip hop, Fun
Shownu: Energy, Individuality, Edgy
Hyungwon: Reverse, Hip Hop, Monster
I.M: O.M.G
JooHeon: Energy
MinHyuk: Energy, Trespass, Power
Wonho: Energy, 7 members, Monbebe

Tell us what are you up to recently? And what plans do you have in the future?

Shownu: We just finished our last HERO broadcast stage recently, and we are preparing for the year end ceremonies. Recently we also took part in the opening performances in one China video website called IQIYI, also thankfully we took part in MAMA and MMA and received our awards, especially working with Seventeen at MAMA to show a different side of us was a good experience and we were really happy.

Congratulations on winning the Next Generation Asian Artist award at MAMA! Since you have only debuted for 7 months, how does it feel to receive the award?

KiHyun: When we received the award I was totally blank and confused, it just felts good. We will work hard in the future just like the award’s name (Next Generation).
I.M: Since it was something we did not expect, of course we were dumbfounded. We have to work harder next year like the award’s name.
Shownu: I am really grateful about it.
HyungWon: Because we really did not expect this award so I was shocked, nevertheless I felt really good. All I thought was to work harder in the future.
MinHyuk: I think it is a really meaningful award, just like the name (Next Generation). Please look forward to us!
WonHo: Since we have been recognized, we will work harder. I love you all Monbebe!

We heard you (Monsta X) received a lot of attention during your MAMA stage, were there any interesting stories while working with Seventeen?

WonHo: Since we were really close with Seventeen we always wanted to collaborate with Seventeen. Therefore, we were able to make our dreams come true through the MAMA stage. It was a really good experience and I liked it a lot.
Shownu and KiHyun: To be honest we prepared it in a rush so it was very hectic, but since they were friends we could get along with, we could work along with them well too.
JooHeon: It was really interesting as we all laughed a lot while practicing.
HyungWon: Since there were a lot of members, while performing on stage the impact was really interesting.