A Reapers Game

My lungs ached as I quietly sucked my breath in, my heart pounding from the adrenaline running through my body. I had taken rest against a dead tree, after what seemed like an eternity of running.

A sinister laugh echoed throughout the dark forest, and I knew it was him.

He's close.

I thought; and I was right. I knew he could find me any second, he's something other than a human being.

Too fast, too proactive, too evil.

I peered around the black stump of the tree, my blue eyes adjusting to the intimidating environment that surrounded my frightened figure.

As I looked around, I couldn't help but get the scary feeling that somebody was watching me. I couldn't shake it off; and that's when I felt a presence standing behind me.

My body was frozen in place, too stricken in horror to turn and see who it was, even though it was obviously him.

My heart pounding faster than before, I slowly turned to face the person behind me.

I met the face of him, the creature whose name I found to be Grell. He was leaning towards me.

He had a wide grin, exposing his razor sharp teeth. His irises behind his red framed glasses were two different colors; a deep green suddenly forming into a sickening yellow.

His long red haired fluttered gently behind him, as it is windy.

"Hello, my princess. Do you give up yet?" He reached behind his back and I heard the familiar sound of a chainsaw starting.

He slowly pulled it out from behind him. It was decorated nicely, but I had no time to admire it.

I saw my reflection on the guide bar. My eyes were wide in fear, and my jaw was agape.

Grells smile widened; if it was even possible.

I slowly backed away from him, watching his every move, waiting for him to strike, but he just stood there, a devious smile on his face.

I turned and ran, fast. I didn't look behind me.

The sound of the chainsaw echoed throughout the forest, along with a dark laugh from the red haired monster called 'Grell'.

I ran until my legs felt like lead, wanting to pull me down to the damp cold ground with every step, and my chest and body hurt so much I couldn't breathe.

I collapsed onto the ground, my entire figure throbbing in absolute pain. I laid there, gasping in deep lungfuls of air, even though it hurt just to breathe.

"I'll catch you, Marie Jane Thompson!" Grells voice screamed out.

The full yellow moon shone brightly behind the crumbling branches of the trees, the dark black clouds sparing me light for only a couple of minutes.

My life was over, and I knew it. I couldn't think of anything else to do except lie here, miserable and terrified of everything around me.

A 20 year old girl, a long ways from home, being chased by a menacing creature with a chainsaw who wants nothing more than my blood and the satisfaction of knowing he killed a person without a second thought.

'Over..' I thought. 'Dead and gone, forgotten forever. I never belonged...'

I sniffled as I lay there hopelessly on the ground. I knew nobody cared, there was nobody in this forest, the forest that expanded hundreds of miles that I was in the heart of. Nobody but the animals that called this dreadful place 'home.'

Nobody but the monster chasing me, and the animals that lived here. Nothing to offer companionship but the eerie light of the moon shining from above or the rare ray of sunlight that managed to find its way to the floor of the forest.

I was scared, hopeless, and alone.