Chapter 1

The sun rose, and I could tell by the sounds the animals made.

I could barely see the orange light peeking in through the dead branches of the trees.

During the night, I had barely had the strength to get up, my hands kept failing on me, and I realized my wrist was broken by the angle it was at and the way it felt.

I hissed in a breath as I sat up.

Birds flew around in the treetops above me, and I flinched as a reaction.

Being here has taught me to be aware of my surroundings, way more than I did growing up in France.

I was no longer Marie the rich girl.

I was Marie, the girl who was running from a creature that craves her death.

I shuddered as a chilling wind swept through the bows of the trees, making them shake eerily.

Other than the sound of the trees, and an occasional animal sound; the forest was silent.

Silent.

Not silent of sound, but silent of any comfort.

With the help of a tree, I stood.

I looked around again, sighing. "How will I ever get out of here..."

"The answer is simple." A female Welsh accented voice said softly. It seemed to be coming from behind me.

With a startled gasp, I turned, but saw nothing but the trees.

'This place is really getting to me.' I thought, and began limping. I had no idea what direction I was headed, I just knew it was betting than staying in place.

I walked, my breathing ragged. I didn't look up for at least two hours, I was looking down at my feet the entire time.

"You should really keep a keen eye on your surroundings." The same female voice said again. But this time, it was beside me.

I turned my head quickly, only to see nothing again.

"I'm down here."

I looked down and saw a fluffy Siamese cat. She was looking up at me.

Her eyes were immaculate, a pretty shade of orange. To be more precise, I would say they were tangerine coloured.

"Y-You're talking.." I spluttered.

"Yes, and you are too. Perhaps you shouldn't, your accent is quite annoying." She looked as though she was smirking.

"Who are you??"

"My name is Lydia Breckensworth. May I inquire your name?" She spoke so formally.

"I'm Jane.. Jane Thompson.." My own name sounded alien to me.

"It's a pleasure to meet you."

"L-Likewise.." I was still terrified. A cat was talking to me.

A cat!

"I'm not just any cat." She continued walking beside me, but kept her distance. I'm sure she didn't trust me either.

"Then what are you?"

"Please don't be frightened when I tell you. Or show you, whichever you prefer."

"Show me please." I said quietly.

Almost instantly, Lydia was standing. Not as a cat, but as a person.

She was tan, something rare to see in this time period. Her pitch black hair was wavy in a pretty way, and it was cut just above her shoulders.

Freckles were scattered across her cheeks, still noticeable against her tan skin.

Her eyebrows were long and thin, and her eyelashes were long and full. Her eyes were still orange.

She was very pretty, and tall.

I had always taken pride in my height, 5'6", since that was considered graceful and perfect in Paris. But she was over a foot taller than me. I would speculate she was at least 6'10".

"Oh.." I breathed.

"What?" She looked down at me. I had to crane my neck just to see her.

"You're not human, a-are you?"

Lydia shook her head. "Your observations are correct, I am not."

"Then what are you?" I started walking again when I realised I had stopped. She continued walking beside me.

"Do you believe in God?" She asked.

I suspected she had ignored my question. "Well, I did, but he hasn't attempted to help me in any way."

A smirk spread across her lips. "I see. Then you most certainly must believe in the devil?"

"I do. What has this have to do with my previous question?" I sighed tiredly.

"I am on the faithful side of him." She said casually, looking at her fingernails.... which were black.

"Of whom? God?"

"No," She scoffed at his name, "Of Satan."

My heart leapt up into my throat. I was at a loss for words.

"I'm a demon." She clarified.

She was going to take my soul, I knew it, I was condemned to die. My heart was racing, and I began running. Running from her, the demon.

I looked back briefly. She was still standing there, watching me.

I ran further and further, my lungs burned for air. I needed to stop, and I knew it, but I felt like if I did, something awful would happen to me.

So I trusted my instincts and kept running. Little did I know, I was being followed. But it wasn't Lydia.