Chapter 9

It was sunset when I finally returned to the castle. The other knights seemed to find it fascinating that even as a girl, I could beat each and every one of them. I beat all of the men that had been there, some more than once, except Alek. At one point, he stopped to watch us battle and I was filled for some reason with the sudden desire to show off. Of course, I didn't have to. I won anyway.
     As I changed in my room, someone knocked on my door. I was expecting it to be a page with my food but instead, Ken stood there. He bowed, and I curtsied. "You don't have to bow to me." I said.
     He ignored me. "Princess Annabelle has requested that you join us at dinner."
     Excitement filled me. "Really?" He nodded. I paused. "I don't really have a gown to wear."
     He nodded again. "She said you would say that. Here." He pulled a gown from out of nowhere and thrust it at me. "Thank you." I responded. The silk was so delicate I was afraid I would crush it in my hands.
     "Come to the royal dining room once you are done." He said, turning to leave.
    "Where is that again?" I asked quickly.
     He turned back. "There's a door in the main dining room that leads to it."
     "Thank you." I said, and I shut my door.
     Changing into the gown was awkward. Back at Blazier, the Queen and the princess had known me and my parents so well that they never said anything when I didn't wear a dress like the other girls.
It was a midnight blue gown. The corset had flower patterns and the sleeves were short. There was a ribbon around the waist. The skirt was silk that went all the way down to my feet and seemed to flow around me. I didn't even know how to put my hair up, so I brushed it out and left it down.
Finally, I made my way to the crowded dining hall. It took me a while to find the door to the Royal dining hall, but they'd probably made it like that on purpose so that no commoners could come in while the king ate.
The royal dining hall was not as big as the other one, but it was so much less crowded which made it seem bigger. There was light chatter going on inside, but not like the roar of the other room. The king was seated at the head of a large table. I noticed Ken and Ray along with Lord Farleir and Lord Kenneir. On the other side was Anne, with an empty seat between her and the next person. She smiled as soon as she saw me and motioned me over.
"Corona!" She said as I hurried over to sit by her.
"Annabelle! It seems like it's been forever since I've seen you!" I said, sitting down.
It seemed as if they had all been waiting on me because as soon as I sat down, several servants came by with trays of food.
     "So, Corona." The King began. I turned to him and nodded nervously. "I hear you're quite the knight."
     I ducked my head. "It is nothing, your majesty."
     "I heard you went down to the training yard and had some fun." Ray said smiling.
     I shrugged. "I just needed something to do."
     "If you like, we could use you." The King said. "In our army."
     My jaw dropped. "I would love to, Your Majesty, but I am sworn to protect Princess Anne."
     He nodded. "Can you be a royal protector then?"
     "A guard?"  I asked.
     He shook his head. "If we were to ever be attacked, you would be here protecting the royal family."
     I nodded. "I would love to, but I would have to leave as soon as our queen comes back."
     He nodded. "I'm glad to have you here." He said. "Both of you."