Sam

Sam had butterflies in his stomach as he put on his glossy black tuxedo and bow tie. "You can do this", he whispered to himself as he checked out his hair in the mirror. "You love this girl, and you want to marry her".

He applied the finishing touches of gel and was beginning to put on his shoes when he heard a knock on the hotel door. He looked through the peephole and saw his father's face, looking weary but happy. Alexander Pemberton was a man of morals, and he believed in a good, loving marriage that would last forever. Gaining his approval was always nearly impossible. Alex had shut down Sam's past three relationships because the element of true love wasn't there. But when he saw Samily, he couldn't help but see the true, passionate, prosperous love blossoming throughout their relationship.

Sam opened the door and hugged his father. Alex embraced him back. "I'm proud of you, son", he whispered. "I'm proud of you".

Sam invited Alex inside and together they had a bottle of sprite, raising a glass to Samily. They talked for a half hour, about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, which Sam and Emily were about to find. Then there was another knock on the door.

"That would be the groomsmen", said Sam as he opened the door to find his best friends staring at him. The best man, Charlie Erdahl, spoke. "It's time", he said.

Sam shuddered. For the first time in his long, romantic relationship with emily, he had doubts.

"You're sure you want to do this?", said Charlie. "This isn't the kind of decision you can just turn back on."

Sam considered the question for almost a full minute, but when he closed his eyes, all he could see was Emily's smile and he was filled with joy.

"Yes", he replied. "This is my destiny"

Sam no longer had butterflies in his stomach as he and his groomsmen rode to the wedding in Alex's Jaguar. The beautiful scenery of rural Vermont in the fall was enough to quiet everybody.

They got to the wedding site before anyone else. The mere notion of an autumn wedding under the maple trees of a variety of bright hues was breathtaking. The Justice of the Peace came to marry them off, being familiar with both Christian and Jewish customs. Sam shook his hand. He had a firm grip.

Sam and Alex decided to take a walk before the guests started arriving. The only noise was the crinkle of the leaves under their feet.

They came to a clearing. They stood there, silent, as a light breeze echoed through the trees.

"Son", said Alex, breaking the silence. "Don't lose that girl".

Those were the only words spoken. They walked back towards the wedding site in silence.