Chapter Thirty Four: Do No Harm

Watching them leave was the hardest part. Maeve strode off on her Hart with confidence and the goofiest grin Solas had ever seen on her. She was excited to return to him. As the others mounted their horses and loaded their things, she pulled him aside and kissed him. It was not a short kiss by any means. This surprised Solas, as it was the first time they had done so in public, with so many eyes on them.

"The next time I see you, we will be married." She whispered in his pointed ear. He let the smile grow on his face and hugged her tightly. "This will be the longest four days of my life." He exaggerated slightly with a sigh as he took her in. He observed her, memorizing her features, her scent, her smile. She chuckled at him and fiddled with the jaw bone necklace against her chest. He held her by the waist, close to him but not too close as to not draw attention.

"What? No risqué women and stout until your last free moment?" She joked, lifting the necklace from her neck. Knowing she would try to give it back to him, he took it from her hands and placed it back over her head swiftly. Solas laughed at her idea of cliché men and marriage. Their relationship was not normal and her comparison was ironic in his mind. "The thought is unnerving." He responded with a fake disgusted look. She chuckled at his expression in amusement. "I desire no such things. I am only free when I am with you, Vhenan." He said. The words flew softly from his lips, like a sweet angelic melody. It floated to her ears like a feather and kissed her eardrums delicately.

She blushed at his beautiful gesture and his hand came up to caress her reddened cheek. "Then enjoy your cage while I am gone, Emma-lath." Maeve looked away from him shyly but his fingers found her chin, forcing her to look at him. He smiled at her dark blush and kissed her cheek. Over a month had passed that they had been in each other's arms and still she got nervous and shy at his simple words and minute touches.

"That blush of yours is beautiful." He commented as she met his eyes, her hand entangling in his. She giggled nervously and blushed further, the red of it and his touch warming her face. "It is you that puts it there." She admitted timidly with a widening grin. He leaned into her and kissed her lips gently, methodically, slowly, as to savor every last second he had with her. "I will eagerly await you're return, Emma-lath." He murmured as she pulled away.

They could feel everyone's eyes on them as they held one another close. "Ar lath ma, Solas." She uttered with a smile as she began to pull away. "Ar lath ma." He replied. It was painful letting her go but he knew she would return and he knew they'd be married when she did. Cassandra approached him then as Maeve mounted her Hart. "I understand that Cullen spoke with you today." Cassandra said with a hint of indignation in her accented voice.

"I trust that you will not share whatever it is he told you with anyone." She inquired. She was more insisting it than asking and he knew it. Solas nodded and grinned at how forward she was. "Yes, of course. Not a soul will hear it from me. Though Lavellan is aware of your... preoccupations of late." He told her. He did not want her to think that he was so low but he also didn't like that she talked down at him. He didn't trust her very much and it was obvious the feeling was mutual for her.

Varric approached them with a knowing grin. He'd woken early to see the Inquisitor off with a few others but really he just wanted to tease Solas. "What preoccupations?" He asked suspiciously. There was a Goliath-like devious smile on his face. It curled at the corners making him look conniving and mischievous. Things Varric was partly well known for but concerning nonetheless.

"Nothing to concern yourself with, child of the stone. Cassandra and I were discussing some things I need to take care of while the Inquisitor is absent." Solas excused quickly to Cassandra's relief. Thank the Maker he was a quick thinker. "Lie to me all you like Chuckles. I know exactly what the four of you have been up to." Varric stated as he leaned against the gate and folded his arms across his chest. "You know, Seeker, the Chantry looks down on fornication. And Chuckles, you have really got to do something about the terrible echo in that foyer." He teased as Cassandra's jaw hung open and Solas looked down at him with disapproval.