Chapter 1

The woods towered over me, their ominous depths containing a vastness that seemed to stretch into eternity.

I huffed.

"You can do this," I reassured myself, "Just walk in, find the bracelet, then come right back out. "

It was approximately 4 pm, and I was standing on the ouskirts of BlackBerry Forest for the second time today, anxiously pacing back and forth in an attempt to calm the fluttering in my stomach and muster up enough courage to go back in the woods.

Earlier today, my friends and I were hanging out by the edge of the woods. After a while, we became bored and my best friend Liz persuaded us to take a "short and exciting endeavor" to an old well a little ways into the forest. Despite our palpable angst- all of the ghost stories of the monsters that dwelled in forest were quite frightening- we bunched together with nervous giggles and walked hesitantly into the woods. We were only around 10 meters away from the well, however, when we heard the distinctive snap of a twig in the distance and quickly darted right back the other way.

After that little adventure, we all said our goodbyes and parted for the day. It was then that I became aware that my bracelet, of which I wore constantly, was no longer on my wrist. It was given to me from my Grandmother before she passed away as a reminder of our friendship. We had a special bond through our love of music, with her playing the violin and I the cello. The simple bracelet had merely a small music note on it, but to me, it carried a deep love and understanding of the connection between us.

So as expected, as soon as I realized the bracelet was not on my wrist, I started to panic. I searched frantically all through the house, and even called Liz to see if she knew where it might be. In the end, after a raving scavange, I came to a dreaded conclusion. My bracelet was somewhere in the woods.

So, here I was.

I huffed again.

"Besides, it's just some stupid myth. Monsters... magic... none of that actually exists," I told myself shakily. It sounded unconvincing- even to my own ears.

Trying to ignore my hammering heart, I set my shoulders and strided- or what I envisioned to be striding- into BlackBerry Forest.

I would be out in no time... I hoped.