Chapter 4

My brows furrowed in confusion. Medeis? Where was that? What was that?

"Wait!" I called after him, his figure becoming less visible as he continued to traipse away. "What is Medeis?" I asked. He turned and gave me a prophetic look. "You'll see soon. Just know that it is safer than out here, especially now that night is upon us."

When I still didn't follow him, his chest heaved with annoyance. "Look," he said harshly, his nostrils flaring, "I don't have time for this. I would prefer to leave you here, but the law states to 'take any innocuous beings of any kind under the wing of Medeis during potentially hazardous situations.'" He sighed again. "And, as you are a small human in the middle of the forest with no protection, I'd say this fits under that category. I must take you to Medeis for the night." He then gave me a menacing glare, as if daring me to defy him.

I averted my eyes, and paused, choosing my words carefully. "Ok," I began slowly, "I understand, sort of, but why can't you just take me to the edge of the forest- back home? My parents will be searching for me." As I spoke, I realized the truth of my words. My parents were probably freaking out! They had no idea where I was, and it was going to be night soon! I started to panic, my hands fumbling with a frayed string on my jacket.

"Because," He replied in a condescending tone, "You have traveled too far into the forest. If I was actually able to get you there, and that would be very unlikely, I would have to travel all the way back to my home. Even for me, that would be far too dangerous. The creatures of the night are unimaginably powerful... their strength cannot be matched. We need to go to Medeis, believe me." He paused. "As for your parents... They won't worry, I promise. You're absence will not even cross their minds."

As difficult as it was for me to wrap my mind around everything that had happened, and as strange as what he just told me sounded, I felt oddly calm. Somehow, I trusted his word that my parents would be fine.

"Alright," I said, making up my mind once and for all, "Take me to Medeis."

Just as he was turning around to resume our walk, I found myself saying, "On one condition. What's your name?"