Chapter 2

Silverwind sat down next to Thornheart with a thrush and could feel Squirrelfur's gaze burning into her pelt. "So what did Flamestar say when you told him about Grasspaw's assessment?" Thornheart asked.

"He said she's making good progress and sometime soon she'd make her journey to High Boulders," she meowed.

"That's great!" Goldenheart meowed, coming to them. 

"Goldenheart!" Silverwind meowed. "How was your first day as a warrior?" 

"Great!" Goldenheart replied.

"Okay," Silverwind meowed. "I have to get some rest before dawn patrol."

Squirrelfur woke Silverwind up for dawn patrol, and she followed him to where Flamestar was. Why is Flamestar going on patrol with us? Silverwind wondered. They padded the gorse tunnel and into the forest. "I'm sorry about what I said two days ago Silverwind," Squirrelfur meowed, pretending like Flamestar wasn't there. 

"Why did you say it?" Silverwind asked, picking her words carefully to where Flamestar wouldn't get mad at her. 

"I thought you might still... But you made it very clear you don't. I'm sorry," he replied sadly. 

"I forgive you," Silverwind meowed. 

"You sure?" Squirrelfur asked. 

"Acceptably," she replied.

When Silverwind got back to camp she got Brackenclaw to train Grasspaw.

The next two days Grasspaw made her journey to High Boulders, and the day after she returned Silverwind had given her the day off. Then the next day they practiced fighting moves and went hunting.

After those days Silverwind woke to a chilling breeze from outside of the warriors den. She poked her head out and was surprised to see little flakes of ice falling down from the sky. Leaf-bare. She thought. "Silverwind!" She heard Goldenheart call when she was half way to the apprentices den. "You'll never believe this!" She squealed. 

"What?" Silverwind asked. 

"I'm moving into the nursery soon!" 

"Really?" Silverwind was happy for her friend but at the same time her heart sunk.

"Yup!"

"That's great!"

When she started toward the apprentices den again she heard Flamestar call her. "Yes?" Silverwind asked. 

"I want you and Squirrelfur to go on a hunting patrol together." There was warmth in Flamestar's gaze, but not like Squirrelfur's but as if he were giving her permission. She thought about it for a while and only came to one conclusion. "Okay," she replied and went to the warriors den.

She prodded Squirrelfur in the side. "Wake up Squirrelfur. Flamestar wants us to go on a hunting patrol."

"With who?" He asked sleepily. 

"J-just us I-I think," she stuttered. All of a sudden she was nervous to be with him. 

"Are you nervous?" He asked. He apparently caught onto the nervousness in her voice. 

"Kind of," she shook her head. "I'll explain later."

The next day it was snowing again. Silverwind didn't run into Squirrelfur and just watched in silence as Grasspaw hunted. When she returned to camp she sat down to eat with Squirrelfur in silence and caught Flamestar glance at her curiously every now and then.

The next day Silverwind grabbed a rabbit for Goldenheart and a squirrel for herself and headed to the nursery.

"Thanks," Goldenheart meowed as Silverwind set the rabbit down for her.