Chapter 6

The next few days the Gathering came and passed, Silverwind not going, Leafcloud checked on her constantly, and Squirrelfur wouldn't leave Silverwind's side.

"They're adorable," Goldenheart meowed. Silverwind looked down at her three kits. One is a dark silver tabby she-cat with dark ginger ears. Another is a ginger she-cat with silver paws. The last one is a brown tom with dark green eyes. 

"Yours are adorable too," Silverwind replied.

"They all are," Sorrelfur meowed.

Flamestar stuck his head into the nursery. "Squirrelfur, you need to train Birchpaw instead of spending all of your time in here," he meowed. "Unless you think he's ready to be a full warrior." 

"Yes, I believe he is ready," Squirrelfur replied.

Flamestar nodded. "Okay. His warrior ceremony will be tomorrow."

As Flamestar left Silverwind looked at the kits again. She noticed that the dark silver kits fur could be could be mistaken for the bluish-gray color of Moonstar's pelt. "Squirrelfur, I think I have a name for the dark silver she-cat," Silverwind meowed. 

"Yes?" Squirrelfur asked. 

"Moonkit," she replied. As if it were her name Moonkit let out a squeak. 

Squirrelfur purred and meowed, "Okay."

Silverwind remembered the fourth kit she'd given birth to. He was born dead but looked exactly like Graypelt. "Silverwind?"

Silverwind looked up. "Yes?" She asked. 

"I said I think I have a name for the tom," Squirrelfur meowed. Silverwind nodded. "Thistlekit," he meowed. Thistlekit looked up at Squirrelfur and let out a squeak.

Silverwind stifled a mrrow of laughter. "They're smart kits. Okay. Thistlekit and Moonkit," Silverwind purred. 

"What about the last one?" Squirrelfur asked. 

"We have time to think about it," Silverwind replied. 

"True," Squirrelfur meowed.

Silverwind looked at the ginger kit. "Gingerkit?" Squirrelfur asked. Silverwind thought about it. 

"No. I don't think it suits her," she stared at the kit and was reminded of Goldenheart. 

"Goldenkit?" Silverwind meowed. 

"That's what I was thinking," Squirrelfur agreed. She looked at their kits again and the feeling of warmth spread through her.

The next day Silverwind woke up to Flamestar's call. "Should I go?" She asked. 

"Yes," Fernclaw meowed. She looked at the kits to make sure they're asleep.

When everyone was settled Silverwind focused her attention on Squirrelfur as Flamestar started speaking the ritual words. "Squirrelfur, are you satisfied that this apprentice is ready to become a warrior of ElectricClan?"

Squirrelfur raised his head to look at his father. "Yes," he replied.

"I, Flamestar, leader of ElectricClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice." The Clan was quiet as Flamestar continued. "He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn." He turned to Birchpaw as he continued. "Birchpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan even at the cost of your life?"

Birchpaw looked up with strength in his eyes. "I do."

"Then by the powers of NightClan I give you your warrior name. Birchpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Birchleaf. NightClan honors your courage and patience, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ElectricClan."