Chapter 3

"I'm Tara." Tara said.

 "Nice to meet you," Krystal said. Surprisingly, she smiled.

 "Nice to meet you too." After a moment of silence, Tara said, "Let's go to my room and talk. It has more privacy." 

Krystal nodded. Tara grabbed Krystal's hand and led her to her room. Tara opened the door and said, "Here we are. "

 Krystal stood in the doorway for a second before saying, "Wow... That's a lot of color." Tara decided to ignore the comment. Krystal walked over to the bed and sat down.

Krystal looks around the room, noticing all the "color" and plush toys all sitting around and staring right back at Tara and Krystal. "So, do you like rock music or anything like that?" Krystal awkwardly began.

Tara shrugged. "I don't really like any of those, nor do I usually listen to that kind of stuff." Tara's face brightens. "Wanna hold my dog? Her name is Sadie, Sade for short." Tara went over to the dog bed where the dog was sleeping. She picked her up and brought her to Krystal.

Krystal tried her best to keep herself from scrunching up her nose in disgust and saying an insult about dogs. Somehow, she succeeded. Naturally, slowly took hold of the puppy.

Krystal's eyes widened. This puppy was nice and calm. It didn't do anything that Krystal disliked about dogs. It just stayed there in Krystal's arms calmly. Is this really the first time I've ever really liked a dog? How despicable.   

The author puts down the pen and goes to take a break. 

Tara heard a ringing sound. It was the bell that signified break time. "Great job so far, everybody!" Mr. Rotcerid said. As Tara walked off, Lenora rushes over with Tara's lunch.

Tara smiled and thanked Lenora. She took the food and sat in a chair, eating quietly while watching the people edit or put up new things for the author. 

Krystal walked over to where Tara was eating. She sat next to Tara and continuing to listen to rock music. Doing all of this, she was also texting non-stop on her phone. Tara looked over to her quietly, watching with a bit of curiosity.

Lenora also walked over, sitting to the right of Tara while Krystal sat on the left. Lenora took out her meal and began to eat. Lenora was also writing something in her notepad at the same time. Lenora sat quietly as Krystal and Tara chatted. Many people know what it feels like to feel worthless. Always in the shadow of someone else. Even through this, Lenora smiled. She didn't want to smile, but she had to. Being an assistant isn't bad, but Lenora wanted to be something more. Something... Important. Useful. Something that she wasn't. She wanted this, and she wanted it more than anything. 

Lenora looked up for a minute. "Tara would you like some uh, cookies, ice cream, anything sweet for a dessert? Or are you still eating?" Lenora cleared her throat a little. I may be worthless, but that doesn't mean that I have to be bad at my job.

"No I'm fine. But thank you." Tara gave Lenora a warm smile, and Lenora returned it.

"Man, you guys are lucky to be characters. I'm just a dumb assistant. But um, don't worry about me. I'll get it one day," Lenora nervously said. 

Krystal looked up from her phone and said, "Don't belittle yourself. We all have to start somewhere."

Lenora shook her head. "I don't think you understand. See, everyone has one job. Mine is an assistant. You're a character. It'll always be that way."

"True, but why does it matter to you? I already know the answer, but I want to hear you say it," Krystal questioned. Krystal looked at Lenora expectantly.

 Lenora took a deep breath before saying, "I... I don't want to be..." She faltered. Krystal sighed.

"Come on Lenora, you can tell us anything!" Tara said with hope. She smiled at Lenora, while Krystal was slowly losing interest.

 Lenora waited a couple of minutes before saying, "I... I don't want to be... An assistant. I want to be a character... Like... Like you. Ugh, forget about it." Lenora sat with her head low.

Krystal said nothing, but Tara quietly said, "Oh." Krystal started to write notes on her phone. Lenora sighed and sarcastically  said, "Geez Krystal, thanks for your support." Krystal froze. She slowly looked at Lenora.

"Now I'm going to say this, and I'm only gonna say it once," Krystal began, "I'm planning. If you want my help, then don't bother me, but it's okay if you want to spend the rest of your life as an assistant."

Lenora was taken aback, "Excuse me, but who the frick gave you the right to talk to me like that?"

"I have the freedom of speech. It's mentioned in the first amendment of the Constitution. So really, you can't tell me that I can't speak up. I thought you were smart enough to figure that out, but I guess not."

Lenora huffed in anger. Tara finally said, "Guys, guys. Let's all be friends, okay?" Krystal didn't respond, but Lenora sighed. The three sat in silence for minutes. Tara was about to say something, but the bell rang.

"Oh, it's time to go back to the story. See you later, Len!" Tara grinned. Krystal walked a few steps before saying, "Good luck, and watch your back. They're everywhere." Lenora laughed and said, "Please, I've done this before. I know how to deal with them." Krystal smiled. "See you at the next break. Well, maybe. You'd better survive, 'cause I'm not planning all this for nothing."

"Yeah," Lenora said, "I know."