Chapter 1

Today was a very special day. Today was the one day of the year where all the boys, age 12-18, got tested for magic.

In our village, Stonewall Village, there is usually only 2 to 5 boys with magic every year. All we know is that once you have proven to have magic in your blood, you are taken away after saying goodbye to your family. No one has ever got sent back to their family.

I was in the middle of the gathering. People of all ages stood before a wooden platform, where my two brothers, John who is 15 and Sky who is 17, were waiting.

Soon we heard the sound of horses galloping on stone. Then it stopped.

"Open the gate!" Yelled someone on the wall. Watcher, we call him. He watched out for intruders.

5 men moved over to help. Once the gate was open, 4 horses stood tall. Each one held a man in robes. One red, one blue, one green, and one light gray.

"We are here to test all juvenile males." The red ones voice boomed across the clearing. And then they entered the village.

This year, we had seven boys, including my brothers, who had been tested before, and only one kid who was new to this.

"Hold out your palm!" Shouted the green one. The blue one came around with a knife, and a stone.

"Cut your palm, boy." The blue one said to the new kid. His brown orbs looked frightened. Slowly, he grabbed the knife and made a small cut.

The blue robed man roughly grabbed his palm and let the blood drip over the rock. The rock began to glow faintly, turning from black the dark gray.

The light gray robed man gentle grabbed the boy and lead him to one of the horses.

None of the other boys proved to have magic.

"Come on now! You must have some other boys hidden in this village!" The red clothed man shouted into the crowd. Everyone glanced around, muttering.

"There! You! How old are you?" He yelled, and pointed at me.

"13, sir, bu-" I started to say.

"Come up here!" He said.

"Sir!" Came from my father," This child is no-"

"Shut up. I want the kid tested, so he is getting tested." The red man growled.

I slowly walked to the stage. I took the knife and made a cut on my hand. I took the stone, and let a few drops fall. It lit up immediately. The glow was so bright that everyone had to look away.

"Wipe it with your tunic." The blue man told me. As soon as I did, the glowing went away.

"People, of the Stonewall Village! This is a very rare moment in time. Only 1, out of 100,000 people shine this brightly with power. This child shall be taken to the Academy, immediately after saying goodbye." The green robed man said.

"Go to your parents, young one. Tell them you love them and goodbye." The light gray clothed man whispered in my ear.

"But... Yes sir." I said. As I walked off the stage, my two older brothers hugged me really hard.

"We knew you had something special about you!" My mother said as she walked up, tears in her eyes. My father watched the whole scene before walking up to me.

"Keep your hair short, don't wear girly clothes, deepen your voice when you talk, and don't go swimming. If you share a room with other boys, talk about girls and hunting and stuff. If you are required to take a shower with the boys, ask if you could be last, or say your sick and touching water makes it worse. Your name is Lee." My father said, and continued giving more tips on how to keep the people from knowing I'm a girl.