Two.

HIM

Shawn always hit his snooze button at least four times before rolling out of the warmth of his bed. On this particularly chilly winter morning, he slept through seven of them.

"Shawn," His sister yelled, barging into his room, "The bus is here and- why are you still in bed?"

Instead of replying, the boy shoved the girl out of his room before stumbling over to his chest of draws, pulling out the uniform that was slowly growing on him.

When he first moved to the school, Shawn couldn't think of anything worse than having to wear a white shirt with black suit pants every single day. He cringed as his mum handed him the blazer.

But now, he quite liked it. He wasn't sure why (it was still hideous), it just eliminated the need to actually think about what he had to put on in the morning.

Jogging down the stairs, he found that his sister had taken the bus and both of his parents had already gone to work.

"Shit," He mumbled, wiping his still half-asleep face before sinking into one of the kitchen stools. He could get Brian to drive him to school, but he lived on the other side of town. Ian boarded at school, and Laur – well, they weren't exactly on speaking terms.

Shawn had never skipped school before. He wasn't exactly your A+ student, but he definitely wasn't bad either. The idea seemed fresh in his mind, rebellious, rule-breaking. Of course, if he were to stay home, he'd spend the day eating and practising the guitar- not exactly your idea of wild- but it was better than school.

So, after showering, grabbing snacks and changing into the appropriate attire for a day spent at home, Shawn crashed on the couch beside his guitar. The guitar was battered with love, well used and peppered with scratch marks from all the times he tried to sneak it out of his bedroom window at midnight, to write songs under the moonlight. Although not human, he cherished it like a friend.

He spent the morning learning Apologise by One Republic, closing his eyes as he let his fingers control themselves. He watched cover videos, taking note of how people would add their own character to songs, making them their own.

Then Shawn filmed a cover. He already had a few on his YouTube channel; all of the videos that his friends had encouraged him to post. They'd been viewed a few hundred times, nothing special. But shortly after pressing upload to his new cover of Stay, Shawn realised that it was quickly gaining views.

The same thing had happened to his vine the month beforehand, and just like then, Shawn shrugged it off as a glitch.

In the afternoon he fell asleep, the sudden need for sleep washing over him like a wave crashing down on an unsuspecting surfer. His sleep was so deep that he slept through Brian's calls, Ian's texts and even Lauren's attempt at apologising to him.

So when he woke up, bewildered, just before lunch time with eleven notifications, Shawn was nothing less than confused.

"Brian?" Shawn murmured, his eyes adjusting to the brightness of his phone.

"Buddy!" Brian returned, his voice full of life, "Where have you been all day?"

"Slept in." The boy replied, eyeing the mess of snack wrappers, blankets and charging cables around him, "How's school? Shouldn't you be in class?"

"Ducked out into the hall quickly before the teacher could hear my phone ring." Shawn could hear the smirk in his friend's voice, "Lots happened today, man."

"Like what?" Shawn asked, knowing all too well that the day you miss school, everything happens. "Did Beyoncé sing in the cafeteria?"

"Not quite..." Brian laughed, "But there's a new girl."

Shawn bit down on his top lip, "So Ian isn't the new kid anymore?"

"It appears so. This chick is weird though, she hasn't spoken a word."

The boy shrugged his shoulders, before quickly realising that Brian couldn't see it. "Maybe she's just nervous. I remember my first day was petrifying. I refused to talk to anyone other than my sister, remember, we ate by ourselves in the hallway..." Shawn's voice fell to a whisper, "Invite her to hang with us at lunch tomorrow or something."

"Will do," Brian replied quickly, "Look, Mr P knows something's up, I better get back to his intriguing lesson." Shawn laughed at the way his friend groaned, and he could almost picture Brian rolling his eyes. "Be glad you're not here to suffer the pain."

"Mhm," Shawn replied absentmindedly, not fully listening to his friend. Suddenly all he could think about was the new girl. "Brian?" He asked.

"Yeah?"

"What's her name? The new girl, I mean."

Shawn could hear Brian shuffling behind the phone, "Bud, I told you. Chick hasn't spoken a word."

"Oh." And with that, Shawn hung up.

---

A/N:

Slow start, but more sooon!

(Also yes, these chapters are small, I know)

(oops)

- N -