Six.

HIM

Lauren used to be Shawn's best friend.

They were inseparable – never leaving each other's side from ages 4-11.

Though when Shawn went to school one day, he noticed that Lauren looked beautiful. Suddenly words that his father used to describe his mother popped into his head. He wasn't sure what that meant, but Brian was persistent in telling him he had his first crush.

When he was 14, Shawn watched quietly as Lauren got her first boyfriend. His name was Harry, and he was what every 14-year-old boy wanted to be- bieber fringe and all.

He dumped her a month later because he decided he didn't like her anymore. Shawn picked Lauren up, showing her that Harry was just an arse. She smiled, thanking him for being a great friend.

Then on her 15th birthday, a boy named Tom Harvey asked her out.

Turns out Tom was also an arse, who followed through with cruel dares.

It hurt because each time she got hurt, Shawn was the first one to pick her up. After crying for an afternoon, she'd hugged him, kissed him on the cheek lightly and thanked him once again for being a great friend.

And it felt like his 15-year-old heart had been stabbed by a knife that Ian had so kindly named 'The Friend-Zone'.

For a year Shawn tried to push his feelings for Lauren to the back of his head, deeming them as selfish, and things that shouldn't be let out; not even to Brian and Ian. But they were feelings, and no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't stop them.

So three days after Shawn's 16th birthday, he told her that he liked her.

Lauren knew only three things;

1. That Shawn was with his friends at the time.

2. Her last boyfriend asked her out as a dare.

3. Friends play truth or dare.

So she panicked and said no. She wasn't going to fall for it again. She expected more from him, especially as he was the one who had helped her last time. She called him an asshole. She hung up.

It felt weird, hearing those words flow out-of her mouth so shakily, but so surely. It sounded as though she truly believed that Shawn would ever even consider doing something so cruel to her. And that hurt more than the words themselves. He had cried that night, for the first time since his grandpa died. He was annoyed at himself for crying over a girl. It seemed stupid.

Brian and Ian were supportive, though, promising Shawn that they'd tell Lauren what actually happened. Shawn had thanked them, but shaken his head.

"Guys," he croaked, "don't tell her I like her-" He paused as if making up his mind, "I don't think I do anymore."

"Dude!" Ian shrieked, "You've liked her for as long as I can remember, you can't just give up on her!"

Shawn shook his head, knowing that he was making the right decision, "She doesn't trust me."

"At least talk to her?" Brian offered, holding a pillow to his chest.

"I'd rather not."

Then Brian threw the pillow at him. "You'll have to one day."

Shawn knew he was right; but he hated the truth.

---

As the end of term finally came, Shawn used it as an excuse to avoid Lauren. He avoided her with every fibre in his body. The calls, the texts, everything that so much as reminded him of her was pushed to the deep dark depths of the back of his head.

So after spending the first day back at school at home watching movies, and the second day wondering how many different shades of greens and browns could make up such a brilliantly coloured eye, Shawn didn't really have time to think about Lauren.

Which is why he was surprised when she called his name as he walked into school that morning. She stood in the doorway, her body shaking slightly as she firmly held the straps of her backpack. Her bottom lip quivered, and tears formed in her eyes.

Shawn panicked, quickly walking over to Lauren, a look of sympathy pervading his face as he embraced her in a hug.

"We used to be so close," Lauren sniffed, tightening her grip around her childhood best friend, "And now we barely talk anymore. I'm so sorry."

Reality hit Shawn, and finally, he realised how rude of a friend he'd become. Lauren had made a mistake, yes – but it was an honest one. A mistake influenced by shit experiences that Lauren had faced. He couldn't blame her.

So he held her as she cried in the middle of the corridor, and whispered that it was okay. She stopped after a while, smiling as she pulled away. "Are we good?"

"We're good," Shawn confirmed, a sense of relief spreading across his body.

She kissed his cheek softly, "Thank you."

And had that have happened a mere month before hand, Shawn would currently be melting to the core; but now, he was just thankful he had a friend like her.

---