Chapter 1

Thank you very much to @-BeeBot-for this lovely PicSpam! (Click on it to see full image) It shows a bit of Seraphina's personality without giving away too much, and it adds a hint of mystery. I love it!

--- ♥️

06 August 1994,

"Pie and mash, Mr. Alridge?" Seraphina's mother, Mrs. Meyer swept about, dinner tray balanced elegantly on one hand and a bottle of red wine in the other. Her smile was stretched a little too wide, her voice a bit too crisp, every word dripping with overwhelming charm and glamour.

Mr. Alridge glanced up from his conversation with Mr. Meyer, his cold grey eyes stiff and set.

"No thank you, Mae," he said, his voice just as dull and monotonous as his features.

"Oh, I want some!" Mr. Alridge's son, Damon, scrambled up to Mrs. Meyer and skidded to a stop in front of her, nearly colliding with the tray. Seraphina could see her mother's mouth twitching, as if wanting to scold Damon.

He grabbed the tray and plopped down next to Seraphina at the living room table, gobbling down the mashed potatoes and gravy. He proceeded to chew loudly while staring openly at her chest as if it were a TV show.

Seraphina sighed and crossed her arms. This was the very reason she loathed her father's dinner parties.

Once every few days, the Meyer family would host a dinner party for her father's job, whether it was to advertise his business or seal a deal for the drilling company that he worked at. Seraphina had long given up trying to entertain the guests, it was all she could do to sit through a meal listening to the countless biased opinions and rude labelings of people without physically attacking someone.

But it was the way that her father brought in a lovely new dress for each occasion, and had party planners work day and night to decorate the living room in the most welcoming manner, that raised Seraphina's suspicion that he had more on his mind than just business success. Not to mention that all his clients coincidentally seemed to have a son around her age.

Her parents were always trying to play matchmaker, much to Seraphina's distaste. None of the boys that they brought in caught her eye, simple as that. The only person she felt safe around was Harry, and that didn't seem like it was going to change anytime soon. He'd never try anything on her, nor would even dream of taking advantage of her. Ever.

Tonight's guests were the Aldridge's. Strict, cold, stern, all except for Damon, who was more animal than human.

Seraphina was put in a casual summer dress hitting just above the knees, with flowing white fabric threaded with delicate hints of pastel pink, paired with none other than white sandals embedded with little rhinestones.

Seraphina ran her fingers absentmindedly over the lace on her lower thigh, and despite having a literal pig inhaling plates of food next to her, she couldn't help her mind wandering to Harry. It had been several days since she last saw him; what would he make of her parent's antics?