20: The Vulnerable Heir (part 1)

"If I will be such a burden to Hikari, I'll leave for good"

These words keep on ringing in Yuri's ears as she arranges the books their class had borrowed from the library. She can't believe that Aina is ready to do such a move. But if Aina leaves, it will hurt Hikari. Just like any other relationships
she had before.

Wait. From all the relationships that Hikari had before, hers with Aina is somewhat remarkable. Not only that they are girls but both of them are willing to sacrifice for one another. Is this what true love means? You're ready to sacrifice everything for the one you love.

During the free time, Hikari tried to catch the attention of Aina by showing her a flyer to a theme park. "Ai! Look! Look!" Hikari said and proudly showed the flyer. Aina stopped from writing on her notebook and looked at what Hikari is trying to show her.

"A theme park?" Aina said and saw on the flyer that it will have a special event on next Saturday after their exam. "You want to go there?"

Hikari nods and is all smiling. "Are you free on next Saturday? I mean I know you have your part time but I think we really need to go before the fall"

"Hmmm.. Let's see" Aina said and took from her bag a small planner and turn its pages. "Next Saturday's fine"

"Great!" Hikari said and noticed that Aina took her pen and crossed out something before writing. " Hey! Are you sure? What are you erasing?"

"I'm sure." Aina said and showed her the planner. Hikari was amazed to see all the details written in her planner and noticed the one she crossed out which is scheduled on next Saturday.

Go visit the old man.

"Hey! You said you're free on next Saturday, but you already have an appointment for that day."

"It's not that important. I could make an arrangement for another day just for that. You're more important than this person"

Hearing this Hikari felt happy but sad at the same time. Happy because Aina will make time for her, but sad because Aina was supposed to visit her grandpa but decided not to. Wait. Why is it labeled as the old man?

Deep in her thoughts, Hikari did not notice that Aina was talking to her, not until she slightly pinch her in her pinky finger and she got startled.

"W-what?"

"I knew it you're not listening." Aina said and she smiled. "I said, let's meet at the station at 9am"

"Ah sure!"

Their other classmates heard their conversation and saw the flyer.

"Wow! You're going to the theme park?" Ana asked.

"Yeah," Hikari said.

"A lot of people is going there before the fall season. I also wanted to go, but I still have plans for the coming days." said Kotoko.

"That's sad"

All of them were busy talking when their teacher, Ms. Kageyama entered and heard what they are fuzzing about. And to get the attention of the students, she speak aloud.

"Before you fantasize on going to a theme park, I want to remind you that our exams is on next week."

And everyone start to become noisy again as they go back to their seats.

"Whaatt?! That's so sudden" Everyone reacted to what their teacher told them.

"Okay class! It's time to get serious." Ms. Kageyama said and looked around to check if everyone is on their right seat. "Your exam for the next week is very important to see who will top the rankings for this quarter. So, I want you to focus on your study first more than anything."

Before Ms. Kageyama proceed with her lesson, she first took a piece of paper slid inside her textbook and read its content. "Also, I want you to know that the application for college is already open. Each of you should visit your advisor for your chosen school and track. Is that understood?"

"Yes ma'am" the student answered.

"I am also looking forward to Ms. Sena's application" Ms. Kageyama said and looked at Hikari.

"Y-yes ma'am. I'll do my best" Hikari said.

And the class starts. 

As the teacher writes on the board, Hikari passed a small paper to Aina secretly. 

H: Have you decided what uni you are going?

 Aina read it first and wrote her response.

A: Not yet. Still undecided.

Speaking of college application, Aina isn't still sure if she will be studying college in the town. There's no decision yet. Even if she decided for herself, the old man will definitely disapprove it. The old man decides everything for her. No matter how many times she rebels, the old man always finds a way to have her follow him. Even if she runs away, he will always find him.

Aina wrote again in the paper and passed it to Hikari.

A: If I will be given the chance to choose on my own, I want to attend to  an art school to pursue photography.

After reading Aina's note, Hikari can't help but what wonder what is happening to Aina. Why she can't decide for herself? Why is it like Aina seems so powerless when it comes to making a decision about how she should lead her life? Aren't parents were obliged to support their children's wishes as long as it is for the better?

"Are you hiding something from me, Ai?" Hikari murmured to herself and heard that Aina was called by their teacher to recite some parts of the textbook. And she looked back to her notes and Aina's letter.

If I will be given the chance...

Hikari wants to ask Aina about it, but she feels like Aina will not give her a definite answer. She knew something is odd with Aina when she visited her at home last week and when she made a schedule for their date on next Saturday. However, she doesn't know how she can bring it up without offending Aina or made her think she's meddling with her personal life.

"I wonder if Eru knows" Hikari said to herself. "I have to meet Eru."