natsu x reader // alright?

A/N ♥︎ this is the first ever Fairy Tail X reader one shot I've ever written, so I apologise if it's kinda bad. I wanted to try something new & the story line is a tiny bit messy, but hey!! I tried. I hope you all enjoy anyway // ♥︎ L
Y/N = Your Name (incase you're new)
--

~~ eight years ago ~~

"Ack!" You let out a little scream as your tiny frame collided with the rough pavement. The concrete scraped across your knee, creating a bloody graze and an immediate mauve bruise to match.

Your face flushed red and you started to bite your lip as agony engulfed your body - but within seconds hot tears were streaming down your cheeks, against your will. You abruptly began to wail.

"Y/N? Are you alright?" A familiar voice spoke, causing you to look upwards, still shuddering in pain. "Hey! You're hurt!"

Natsu Dragneel, a dragon slayer from your guild, was now crouching beside you, his face full of concern.

"I-I am a-alright," you choked out, wiping your nose on the sleeve of your shirt.

Natsu frowned at you, his small hand gently touching your bleeding leg. He was thinking of what to do, when suddenly he had an idea. "I'll carry you back to the guild, don't worry Y/N, you'll be fine once Gramps has a hold of you!" The boy grinned at you heroically. You smiled back sheepishly.

Swiftly, Natsu scooped you up into his arms bridle style, wobbling on his feet a little bit as you were around the same height and weight as him.

"A-am I too heavy?" You queried as you wiped the remaining tears from your face, as you had stopped crying, with the back of your hand.

The pink haired boy smirked and shook his head, "I am the great and almighty Natsu Dragneel! I am strong enough to carry a thousand Y/Ns all at once!"

You shook your head with a small smile, still unconvinced as the dragon slayer took off sprinting back to The Fairy Tail guild.

"Call me whenever you're hurt, okay?" You nodded once, and with that Natsu left you in the arms of your guild master. But not before he gave you an quick, affectionate smile.

--

It was getting dark and rain was crashing down from the heavens. The tears that were spilling across your pale cheeks were invisible due to the busy raindrops.

To say you were upset was an understatement. You were hurt. Lost. Broken. But you carried on trudging through the rain because you knew where you had to go.

You began to run. The streets of Magnolia were empty as all of the townsfolk were inside due to the miserable weather.

You had been visiting an old friend outside of town for a couple of weeks and you were returning home early, as your visit hadn't quite gone as planned.

Your feet splashed in the deep puddles and your clothes clung uncomfortably to your body. Your teeth were chattering and lips were blue; but you had to fight on because you were almost there.

A few long minuets of you running passed quickly and soon you were back at the guild. You pushed the heavy wooden doors open and the wind whistled behind your dark figure, causing everybody inside to look to where you were standing.

"Y/N?" Levy frowned, immediately glancing up from a book she was reading, sat next to Gajeel. The guild silenced.

You edged into the hall and the doors shut behind you. You began to walk up the isle, leaving dripping wet patches, towards where your Master was sat.

"W-Where is Natsu..." You spoke behind clenched teeth and your voice was shaky.

"I'm here?" You spun around to see the pink haired boy standing up from where he was sitting on one of the wooden benches.

Without hesitation, you ran towards him, throwing your arms around his neck. Your clothes were soaked with rain water and it was rubbing off onto Natsu's own, but he didn't care.

He smelt smoky and his body was warm and welcoming. He instantly wrapped his strong arms around your waist and pulled you into him closer.

"Are you alright?" The salamander whispered into your hair. You smiled slightly as his words triggered a memory from around eight years ago now.

"I'm alright now that I'm here," you mumbled, a tiny smile creeping onto your face.

Natsu looked around the guild, everybody's eyes were still glued to the paid of you. He shook his head slightly before speaking, "come on Y/N, I'll take you home now."

He entwined his fingers with your own and guided you out of the hall. The rain was still bucketing it down but, now you were with Natsu, you didn't care at all.

Happy tried to follow the two of you outside, but Lucy grabbed his scruff and cursed him slightly under her breath, "no way cat!"

When you reached your apartment, Natsu instantly draped a soft blanket around your shoulders and began to make you some milky tea.

"You don't have to do this you know," you mumbled as he sat beside you, handing you the beverage. "I'm alright now..."

The pinkette chuckled, "I promised to always help you when you're hurt!" He grinned, showing off his large canines. "So, are you going to tell me what's up?"

You glanced at your feet and tapped your fingers on the china mug in your hands.

"Could I maybe tell you another time?"

Natsu hummed in response with a little nod. He understood. It was strange as Natsu had never been very good at serious situations, but with you it was different.

"Thank you..." You trailed off and snuggled into the boys chest. His arms wrapped around you protectively. "You're such a good friend Natsu.."

Once you had finished your tea, your eye lids became heavy and you began to fall asleep, listing to the comforting rhythm of the dragon slayer's heart beat.

"Y/N?" Natsu eventually spoke out into the silence, after listening to your deep, sleepy breathing for a few minuets. He shifted from underneath you slightly, so that he could see you properly. Your face was tear stained and your cheeks rosy. Your eyes were fluttered shut and your hair still damp. He smiled slightly.

As the boy didn't want to wake you from your slumber, he decided to stay the night. He lay awake for a while, listening to your tiny snores and the sound of the never-ending rain bashing against the windows, until he began to feel tired himself.

"I love you Y/N..." He whispered, placing a gentle kiss onto your forehead. You grinned, shocking the boy slightly as he hadn't realised you were half-awake still.

"I love you too, Dragneel..."