Present: Seven

Waiting was the worst. The last year was full of waiting. Waiting for the baby, waiting for the court hearing, waiting on Frisco to wake and now waiting to see Mac. Maxie sat in the waiting room of the ER, comforting herself with the knowledge that Mac wouldn't die. Lucas had already checked and Mac's injury was not life threatening. She tried not to think about Jamie in the hands of someone dangerous but she couldn't help it. Her son was gone for no good reason. But Nathan was back and he would find him. She had every confidence that he would. He'd found her once when she had gone missing. He wouldn't rest until he had found Jamie too.

Liesl emerged from the curtained area, her eyes falling directly on Maxie. She approached Maxie with a serious expression. "I see you have been notified. You shouldn't worry over your stepfather. He will be just fine. A mild concussion, that is all."

"Thank you. Can I see him?"

"For just a moment."

Maxie didn't wait another moment. She hurried toward the curtained area, pulling the drape back and stepping into the cubicle. Mac lay on the bed, staring at the ceiling as a nurse finished dressing the stitches he had just received. A healthy bruise was forming on his jaw but otherwise he looked alright.

"Mac?"

"Oh Maxie. I'm so sorry," Mac said, his voice cracking. "I couldn't stop them."

She stepped to his side and gripped his hand in hers. "Don't you dare apologize for anything. I'm just glad you're okay."

"But Jamie-"

"Nathan will find him," she said firmly. "He's talking to Dad right now. He won't rest until Jamie is back and safe."

Mac frowned. "Frisco is here?"

Maxie nodded. "He came to see Nathan but he was shot this morning. Nathan is talking to him right now." Mac let out a groan of exasperation and struggled to a sitting position. Maxie pushed him back down gently. "Stop that. You'll hurt yourself more."

"I should have known Frisco was behind all of this."

It was Maxie's turn to frown. "I know you two don't get along but I don't think he would hurt any of us. And I really don't think he would take my son from me. Not like this."

"He took Nathan," Mac pointed out. She was spared from responding by Felicia's arrival at the curtain. A bruise had bloomed under her eye where someone had hit her. Maxie tensed momentarily. If Felicia hadn't insisted on taking Jamie, none of this would have happened. She wanted to continue being angry with her mother but Felicia's tears softened her. How could any of them have known this would happen. With a quick glance at Maxie, Mac held his hand out to Felicia.

"You're okay," Felicia sobbed against his shoulder. "Maxie, I'm so sorry. I tried to keep Jamie safe."

"I know you did." She stepped away from the pair and looked over her shoulder into the waiting room. Nathan was there in deep conversation with Liesl. She returned her attention briefly to Mac and her mother. "Nathan will find Jamie. I know he will," she added with confidence. "I'll be back. Get some rest."

She backed away from them and returned to the waiting room. Nathan and Liesl had stepped away from the desk and were in a quiet area by the staircase. She started towards them but paused at the furious expression on Nathan's face. She hadn't seen him look so angry in a long time. Neither of them noticed her.

"Nathan, this is hardly the time-" Liesl turned to walk away but Nathan's hand snaked out and pulled her back.

"Tell me the truth for a change."

"It is not pertinent to Jamie's disappearance, Nathan."

"According to Frisco it is. I need to know." He let go of her arm, catching sight of Maxie at last. He motioned towards her, forcing Liesl's attention to her.. "Please. Tell me the truth. If you won't tell the truth for me, tell it for Maxie and for Jamie. The only way I will find Jamie is if you tell me what I need to know."