Chapter 2

Unlike McCoy, Jim looked as though he was not over seventy. One hundred sixty one years old. His curly brown hair had turned gray. It was like he was frozen in time forever stuck as a seventy-two year old male. Time had treated Jim with delicacy and care almost like he were fragile. He had aged gracefully. It was a miracle that Jim was still around. He had finally accepted retirement after they had returned the Enterprise A a hundred years ago after their farewell tour. After retiring, Jim became a teacher for the academy inspiring cadets to continue what he had stopped. He was a teacher for a few years before deciding to leave the academy and moving onto Riverside. Spock promptly followed afterwards. The academy reminded Spock of an era that was fading out by then and made him feel old.

They lived in Riverside, mostly when Spock's ambassador duties were not usually needed, and enjoyed living a ship-less life. Spock didn't know what he would do without Jim let alone being separated a entire universe or by death (again). Spock had his hands in the sleeves of his robe heading on foot to their house. Spock was not about to request the expedition without speaking with his dear T'hy'la. Spock wanted to have this discussion verbally. Jim had likely returned from the event with the pinwheel floating entity's demise. Jim had been looking forward to that event for a hundred years. Jim had a few years left before him. Two decades to fifty years. When Spock mind melded with his mate, he could feel Jim's life was fading. But remarkably with the fading his old captain still had the energy to do what he did.

Spock took out the key then slid it into the keyhole. He turned the key then slid the door forward. Along the way he had been offered rides which he denied vehemently, calmly, and politely. Just because Spock was a old man did not mean he needed rides for his old legs. Unlike his father, Bendii's syndrome had yet to arrive. Spock was spared because of his human heritage. At least Spock liked to think that. It could still come up without his knowledge. Unlike Perrin's situation, Spock wanted Jim to tell him not keep it a secret when it happened. Spock had all ready informed Jim of the possible scenario where he would lose control over himself. The man simply nodded, squeezed Spock's shoulder, and said, "I will be there every step of the way, Spock." The door slid forward to the two story farm house. It was nightfall. The walk was well worth the time because he needed to think how to approach Jim with prospect of visiting a Earth like planet for the first leg of their retirement.

Not as if they were moving to Earthline.

Spock took the key out then locked the door.

Just a year long expedition.

Going where Star Fleet officers have not gone.

Spock silently closed the door behind him. He had eaten dinner hours ago and here Spock was, tired. Jim had thankfully left the lights on for him. Jim had learned years ago when the Vulcan was determined on doing something there was no way he could stop him. The Vulcan hung up his coat on the rack then headed his way up the stairs, slowly, hearing the wood make a creak sound under his shoes. Spock used the rail as his guide walking up the stairs. He eventually made it to the top then flicked the downstairs lights off using the switch. Spock had made sure he did not think of the expedition for the past twenty-four hours.

Spock went down the familiar hall then came to the last door beside the window.

Spock opened the door to see Jim reading a novel with his pair of glasses. The younger, but still old, man turned his head in the direction of the Vulcan. A warm feeling traveled through the bond as the man's face turned into delight. His face lightened up a thousand killowatts. He lowered the novel to his lab.

"Welcome home, ashayam!" Jim said. "You are not going to believe what happened today."

"You saw the pinwheel entity be destroyed for good." Spock said, closing the door behind him.