6

That night I finished my homework and went to lie down. It had been a long day. I was glad my brother was better now, however I thought the medication might have still been in his system, as he was acting pretty loopy. I told myself to be optimistic as my parents were the most worried. They busily spoke of needing to get Jeff's medication, getting therapy, all things involved with that. I just tried to consider all of the good things involving him, how we could hang out, play video games, like we used to when we were younger. My mind drifted off and I soon fell asleep.

I heard voices, then muffled screams, and a loud bang. I thought I was dreaming. Until I felt something move on the edge of my bed. My eyes shot open and I saw a figure in a white hoodie standing over me.

"J-Jeff?" I yawned. "is that you?,"

"hey, baby brother," I heard him whisper, "how are you feeling?"

"I'm just a little tired. Why are you in my room?"

" Just can't sleep, too much to think about." Jeff stared at me, though it was dark, I knew. His eyes shone in the pale light which entered through my window. "I'm only checking up on you. If you are tired however you should just rest up, it's getting late," I saw something drip off his chin, it landed on my bed.

"jeff... are you okay?"

"never better."

"okay. Hey MOM-"

"shh!" Jeff interrupted me, "MOM and DAD are sleeping... and you wouldn't want to wake them up... would you?"

I was quiet, "no."

"good," I could tell Jeff was smiling.

"alright... well if you want to keep an eye on me you can go sit at my desk." I tried to be calm, he was acting very strange. I kept my eyes on him for quite a bit. But after he sat there, picked up a book, started reading, I could tell that he was just worried about me. I smiled and slowly closed my eyes. I sighed with relief and relaxed. I was half asleep when I felt movement on my bed again.

"Jeff." I felt something wet drip onto my cheek and run down my face. My eyes opened wide and I gasped.

Jeff was right on top of me. His face was cut open on either side of his mouth, and blood was running down his chin. His hazel eyes seemed cold, dark, and unfeeling. I couldn't say a word. I just stared until I saw something gleaming silver out of the corner of my eye. I turned and nearly screamed when I felt something cold hit my throat.

"quiet baby brother,"

I stared at him in shock.

"I told you... MOM... and DAD... are ASLEEP." he laughed, "I see myself, what do you think? Am I not more beautiful? And I see myself in you." he wouldn't look away from my eyes, "we have the same eyes, I see myself in them... and yet you left me, abandoned me. Left me to suffer here, alone!" he spat blood in my face. I shut my eyes and felt a sharp pain in my stomach, I screamed. "go ahead scream, you deserve it for leaving me to suffer! YOU'LL GET PUNISHED BY MOM AND DAD! YOU WILL ROT!" I could feel it. The pain hit me every time, he stabbed me. My breathing slowed. I had pained tears rushing down my cheeks. I couldn't move.

It felt like an eternity before he stopped. I heard him breathing heavily and drop the knife. "hmm... he's had enough you say... alright." I opened my eyes barely, enough to see him, "little brother, you can't imagine the power you just gave me. They say I should tuck you in, the night can get very cool this time of year," he grabbed a blanket from across the room and placed it over me, tucking me in. "that's better now... isn't it? Don't worry Liu, you'll see Mom and Dad soon... you just have to rest for now. Okay." he moved towards my head and shut my eyes, "Go to sleep. It's gonna be a long night."

He kissed my cheek and then I heard him leave. Then I heard sirens afterward. I had drifted off by the time all the people had arrived. Now I'm not sure what I'll do. The hospital is decent for now. Will said I could stay with him and his parents once I got out of here. A few days ago, the new house was set on fire. There was nothing valuable left. So, here I have a question to think about. What is one to do when he has nothing left to lose?