Watching The Sunflowers

'A small house, bare.. We didn't have much. Only the clothes on our backs and a few essential items... That, and each other. My two siblings, Ivan being the middle child and Yekaterina being the oldest of us. We were alone... Cold even. We stayed to ourselves for the most part, well.. I did especially.
I'd watch as sister would gather supplies, brother helping as well. I'd pitch in as much as I could, though being the youngest I was limited. Seen as inferior by my sister, but by my brother I never was. He always looked to me with such... A look. Like he cared. I know he cares. He definitely cares..

..right?

I remember us in the fields, hunting in the horizon for the small patches of sun flowers. It was always such a rare site to see them, they were so beautiful. Brother always liked them, he'd always smile so happily to them.. it made me feel, warm..

And just those thoughts alone kept me warm through the nights in the tundra. We'd all hurdle up under a few old blankets, just to keep from freezing to death. It was scary.. not knowing if you'd see day...

But we always did.

We were... Strong. Stronger then children needed to be. I like children, their always so full of life, and they have such innocents.. I guess that's apart of the reason I like Ivan. He always gives such an innocent look, like a smiling child.

But... Tainted.

We'll never get that time back, our childhood. But if it had gone another way we wouldn't be like this.'

From the minds eye Natalia watched as her childhood was played, she herself thinking critically of it. She was an interesting nation. But she was human, just as much as the rest.

Holding her knees in a fetal position on the bed, she spoke alone. No one around to hear. "Brother... My dearest brother.. How I long to see you really smile.. like back when we use to watch the sun flowers.."-