How Do I Do This?

As soon as Kate and Sam left the house, Alex quickly got the spare keys and unlocked the door.

"What are you doing?" Roger asked, munching on chips and occupying the whole couch.
"Out."
"Out where?"
"The Lake."
"You can't go out there."
"Yes I can."
"No."
"Yes."
"I'll come with."
"No."

Roger took one more chip from the bag and ate it.
"Just come home when you're done." his mouth full.
"Ok."
Alex opened the door.
"Don't die." Roger said while eyes glued on the tv screen.
"I'll try." she replied and rushed out towards the field.

She reached and saw Nathan playing with the container, poking his finger inside it. There were people around but didn't look like they were related at all or friends.

She tried to sneak up to him but he saw her. She just crossed the bank towards him. He patted a rock next to him and she sat on it.

"It is dead." Nathan said.
"What?"
"Frog. It is dead."
"Oh.. aww.. it was my favorite frog.."
"Me too.."
"Let's bury it."
Nathan nodded and placed the container on the ground.

He dug up some dirt off of the ground and made a tiny hole.

Alex lifted the container and looked at the frog. She poked it. It is dead. She made a sad face, pouting her bottom lip.

Alex gave it to Nathan when he finished. He carefully took out the tiny frog and placed it at the end of his finger. He buried the frog and placed the dirt back in.

Alex found a small pebble and stabbed it into the ground next to the buried frog, as if it was a tombstone.

"Here lies.. uh.. what is frog in tagalog?"
"Palaka."
"Here lies pakaka."
Nathan laughed.
"What?"
"Palaka! Not pakaka." Nathan burst out laughing.
"Oh. Okok fine.. here lies palaka.."

Nathan was still laughing while Alex was serious.
"Stop it.. it's supposed to be serious.."
"Okok. Sorry sorry." Nathan slowly stopped laughing but he was still smiling.

Alex giggled. Nathan giggled too. Then they both laughed.

Alex sighed.
"It's sad though.. When this place goes public, it will never be this nice again.."
"Public? What you mean?" Nathan asked.
Oh wait.. He doesn't know about the resort..

"Well, my parents are planning to buy off the river as a tourist attraction. A resort."
"What?!"
He doesn't seem too happy..

"Yea.."
Nathan stood up. He went closer to the edge of the river. He squatted and moved his hand around the water.

He stood up again and shook his hand dry. He went back towards Alex.
"How big of river they need?"
"Uh.." she never actually thought about it. They probably don't want the whole river... Right?

"I don't think it's the entire river.."
"But big?"
"Probably.."
Nathan looked back at the river.
"If they buy at the top of river... We don't get clean water anymore. We get contaminated water."
"But.. Don't you all do the same thing when you.. Bathe? And wash your clothes at the top?"

Nathan looked at her.
"Public is not same. Public mean many people.. Tourist. Not think about us. Animals... Frogs. Cow."

He has a point. More people will arrive and destroy the natural aspect of it. There are very few villagers using it anyway for now, that's why the water doesn't go bad. The resort idea is gonna ruin the lake.

What could possibly be good about this. They're already earning money from many other businesses. They don't need this.

"I mean... If we buy it.. You earn money to right? We can pay you if you want."
Nathan paused.
"I do not need money. And you don't pay us. You pay government"

Alex just stared at him. She doesn't know what to say. She also is not for the plan anyway. Why is she taking side on her parents?

"I'll.. Talk to my parents about it. I'll try changing their mind."
Nathan nodded.
"If they say ok, village thank you, Alex. We grow up this lake. Ilog. We want take care of it." he held his arms out to the children playing in the lake.

Alex nodded.

Now, how do I do this...