Chapter 4

An hour and a half later, I was back at the motel where I was living, sitting in the backseat of Andrew’s small car awkwardly.

“So I’ll just pick you up here tomorrow?” Katie questioned as I began opening the door.

“Yeah, see you then,” I replied, ducking my head to exit the car.

“Just call or text me when you wake up!” she ordered with a smile as I made my way towards the motel room.

I gave her a small nod and a smile to show that I had heard her and turned to enter the hideous room.

After calling my mother and telling her the events of today, I laid on the bed, not bothering to take off my clothes or move the blankets. I just thought about today. I had actually made a friend this afternoon. Awkward, bashful Harry made a friend the first time he was out in California.

I had seen movies and read novels like this before, though. The handsome guy meets the beautiful girl and it’s love at first sight, there’s a ton of drama in between, but they end up happy and together in the end. Damn my sister for having forced me to watch all of those stupid romantic comedies when we were growing up.

To be fair, Katie is a very attractive girl‒both physically and personality-wise‒but I wasn’t looking for a relationship here. I was just here to have a fun summer and then it was back to Holmes Chapel for me.

I yawned, breaking myself from my thoughts as my eyes skimmed over to the digital alarm clock whose bright red numbers were flashing ‘12:00’ as if to tease me that I wasn’t going to get a sufficient amount of sleep for the night.

I let out a long sigh and shook my head before ridding myself of all of the clothing I was wearing except for my boxers and laying back onto the bed again.

I didn’t necessarily want to get up this morning, but I knew that I needed to wash all of the clothes that I had randomly thrown into my suitcase. I groaned and stretched my body, feeling my tight muscles relax.

I got up slowly to avoid vertigo and ran my fingers through my hair as I yawned. I stood from the squeaky bed and separated all of my clothes into different piles onto the ground. I despised doing laundry.

Once all of my clothes were separated and in different bags, I called Katie.

"Hello?" she answered cheerfully as if she had been up for hours.

"Hey, it's Harry... are you busy right now?" I asked, feeling awkward about asking her for a ride.

"Nope, are you ready?" she replied in that same cheery tone of hers.

"Yeah... thanks again for this," I responded in a quieter tone.

Katie's laugh echoed through the speakers, "I'm taking you to a  laundromat; you don't need to be so thankful. But you're welcome anyways," she began, "I'll be there in about ten or fifteen minutes depending on the traffic," she replied before saying goodbye and hanging up.

Just like she had said, Katie was here in fifteen minutes. She knocked on the door of my motel room and I let her in.

"Sweet place," she noted, sarcasm evident in her tone as she took a seat on the bed.

"Shut up," I muttered, making her chuckle.

She laughed at me and waited patiently until I was ready.

I caught myself glancing at her a couple of times, but tried to ignore it. It was hard to not look at her, though. Katie was a very attractive girl, and for it being summertime, she was wearing shorts and a tank top that fit her perfectly. I shook my head to rid myself of the thoughts and finished getting my things ready.