Vanity

TW: mentions of suicide attempt

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day was sunny and warm. Route 39 smelled of fresh aroma and glittered with falling rose petals.

"Alright, Roselia, that's enough practice for the morning. Return."

Drew started walking back to the Pokemon Center to unwind a bit. He was stressed in part about the contest the next day and how this was his second-to-last chance to make it to the Grand Festival. But even more so, he was concerned about May. He hadn't seen her since their fight and couldn't begin to understand why she was so caught up on such crazy ideas.

He went to her room and knocked on the door. No answer.

"Come on, May. I know you're in there. You're mad at me, but we need to talk."

Nurse Joy was walking down the hall. "Oh, you mean the young lady with the green bandanna? She checked out early this morning. Said she was dropping out of the contest and going home."

What?! Is she out of her mind? I swear, that girl...

He headed back out and decided to keep walking around town to let some steam out.

How could she do that? Now she'll never make it to the Grand Festival. How could she be so stupid?

He walked by the gym and saw a bunch of angry evangelists yelling things at people, just like the previous day.

"Well that's just great." He turned the corner and walked by the lighthouse, and found even more of them. He was really getting pissed at the whole situation.

Finally he found a neighborhood where hopefully there would be none of them. It seemed quiet at first, when suddenly he was approached by one of the older men. It seemed that this man had actually followed him there. His sign said "Sinners go to hell."

"Excuse me! Don't you know it's a sin to color your hair?" the man barked.

"Excuse ME, genius, but I DON'T color my hair. Now get out of my way."

The man pointed his finger. "You're going to hell!"

"I swear, if you don't back away from me right now, I'll make you experience hell RIGHT HERE."

He shoved the man out of his way and ignored the subsequent yelling. As he was approaching a seemingly safe part of the neighborhood, a teenage boy about his same age came up to him. However, unlike the extremists in the town, this guy was not interested in yelling or casting judgment.

"Hey, you there. Have you heard?"

"Heard what? That a bunch of crazy people are invading Olivine? If so, then yes, I am fully informed."

"I'm talking about the end times. Someday He will come back, and all of this will be gone."

Drew groaned and started fuming.

Great. Another one. There's no escape ANYWHERE.

"Listen to me. You've got about five seconds to back away from me, or I'm calling the cops. Got it?"

The boy looked at him with sincere concern, but Drew couldn't see it. "Please, sir. The end times are coming. Fire will fall from the sky. We must prepare ourselves for battle."

Fed up, Drew spit in his eye and walked away.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~