Life, Thunder, and Death

*Highly unedited*

My breathing is unstable as I try to calm my low cries. I frantically wipe away the tears that blur my vision. It takes all of me not to look back. If I see the state I left him in- that I put him in- I'm sure to break down inside.

I don't know how to feel at this point. Everything turned to ashes in the dust so abnormally quick. One minute I'm snuggled, sound asleep in my husbands arms, the next I find out he's not really my husband and he's trying to kill me. What's weird is that I should've suspected this. I love him so much, despite what he's done, why can't he see that?

My eyes stay locked on the road and my last gleam of hope, the hotel. It's a skyscraper, taller than the rest. The the shorter buildings seem to outline it, making it stand out amongst them. As I approach the it the city lights dem. With a single flash of lightening all the lights completely shut off.

A few buildings backup generators kicked in, but it wasn’t enough to bring life back to the city. The center of the city gleamed dimly from a distance, giving the place an eerie glow. Dispite this I continued on, slowly making my way through with my highbeems on.

The first three floors of the Grand Hotel shown with lights. I park the car and quickly enter the hotel. The decoratory lantern’s light bulbs had been replaced with candles then lit in preparation. The staff hands out flashlights and warm blankets as they escort the residents to the storm shelter.

My eyes frantically search for Bennett. As I rush through the crowd a well known staff member whom I had befriended since coming here five months ago stops me.

“Mrs. Stein, I'm sorry about our lack of preparation. We're getting the situation under control, we've sent for electricians from the surrounding cities. Until then some of the staff is working on getting the backup generator running.” He says politely while still guiding the residents.

I shake my head vigorously. “No, it's fine, that's not-”

We are cut off by a loud boom of thunder and the flickering of lights. Within seconds the building lightly lit and the city is reduced to darkness.

“Turn on the flashlights.” A staff member yells which causes a domino effect with the rest of the staff.

I shake out of my slight trance. “Kaleb, have you seen Bennett?”

“No ma’am, not since this morning. But the storm is only getting worse, we need to get to bunker immediately.”

“Kaleb, I have to find Bennett, where is the last place you saw him?”

He sighs sensing my distress. “In his room, but I highly advise-”

“Goodbye Kaleb.” I say turning away.

He grabs my arm in response. “Here, take this.” He says handing me a flashlight. I nod and thank him.

The entire first floor is packed. I try to rush and squeeze my way through the crowd but it's useless. I take one step and am pushes ten steps back. I'm unable to get far with everyone going the opposite direction of me.

In a slip second decision I go to the emergency exit. No one would use those stairs since they lead straight to the exit. And I'm right. I go up flight after flight until I reach the 9th floor.