Chapter I

I woke to the sun shining warmly on my face. It was an irritating feeling, being woken up so early. Now that I think back I can remember how much I wanted to roll over and fall back asleep. It was a good thing I didn't, I probably wouldn't be where I was today. That day was what changed my life for the better.

"Arietta Jane! You are not awake yet? You must hurry. It's Choosing day, we have to dress you up!"

My mother had bustled into my room all happy and cheery. Yes, it was choosing day, how could I forget. The day the council so easily signed away an innocent girl to the Alpha King.

It was tradition that on the Alpha King's twentieth birthday, six girls would be picked at random to be sent to castle of Windonshire. There they were put through a series of tests. Tests of Wit, of courage, strength, compassion, and mannerism. The one who passed all of the tests was then to marry the Alpha King. The other five also got the honor to continue to be apart of the Royal court, finding a husband among the other men there.

To be quite frank it was all quite silly to me. They took girls weather it be by will or by force. They couldn't marry out of love, unless of course they lost.

The Alpha King, Garret Mallebisse, the first son of the former King and Queen, Charles and Lillian Mallebisse. He was what you would call an egotistical tyrant. Many people had lost their lives and freedom to him and he was known for his cruelty. I pitied the woman who had to marry him.

"Now, you look as beautiful as ever! You'd make anyone a happy husband."

I was dressed it a long jade dress with long sleeves.

"Mother it is so beautiful, thank you!" I say in awe

"You're welcome my beautiful girl, I only wish the best for you! Now come along, your father will want to see you."

My father was my best friend. He spoiled me as a child and he still spoiled me now.

"Father do you like my dress?"

He stood to his full height from his desk, 6'3 tall. My father was handsome, to say the lest. Dark black hair, with a few strands of gray, piercing bright blue eyes, and a straight nose.

"Sweetheart you look stunning! I have the most beautiful daughter in all of the kingdom." He swept me into a hug, holding me tightly.

"Today is certainly a special day. Are you excited?"

"To be possibly picked against my will to compete against girls for an arrogant King? Of course I'm excited father!" I say sarcastically.

Rolling his eyes he pats my hand, "It will be fine sweetheart. The chances of one of ours getting picked is slim."

Outside, the sound of the square tower's bell rang throughout the town, it was time. Every towns person was to congregate at the square for the choosing of the girl. One girl was chosen to represent the town. There was a total of six towns in the kingdom, hence the six girls.

Hurrying to not be late, my mother, father, and I start out the door with a slight pep in our step. Everyone had the pep going on as it was supposed the be a happy day. It was an honor to be one of the girls, but as I said before I don't see it that way.

Already, a big crowd was assembled at the square and we neatly stood behind the last people who arrived.

Soon the last people gathered, and the square was full. Everyone was silent, as a sign of respect to the Assembly.

The Assembly, was simply the group of leaders that governed the town under the King. It was up to the Assembly to pick the sole competitor for the town.
Soon the head of the group, Niles Abernathy, stood with his hand raised high.

"Welcome fellow citizens of Tinshire. I pray you all slept well. We are gathered here today to announce the chosen representative of our little town. Before we announce the representative, I must stress to you the privilege it is to be chosen. An forward of congratulations to the chosen. Now, I shall announce to you the chosen."

He holds a hand out to his right hand, Chet Massone, he was an apprentice to Niles, a boy who had graduated a year ahead of me. Niles opens the envelop scanning it before smiling.

"I am proud to announce that the chosen is... Arietta d'Amboise!"

What?

No, he had to be joking. Or maybe he pronounced it wrong.

"Arietta! Go up there!" My mother says elbowing me forward.

Shocked I look back and forth between my parents before slowly walking up towards the platform. Why me?

There were a few murmurs passing about the crowd as the pretty girls from school scoffed and turned up their noses, probably saying horrible things.

"Ah Arietta, I think a congratulations is in order." Niles said smiling widely,"Everyone please congratulate out representative!"

Everyone began clapping, my parents the most enthusiastically, the other girls clapped as if they were bored.

Why me again?

"Are you ready?"

Ready? For what?

He took my silence as my agreement, and began herding me towards the back of the platform.

Usually after the announcing of the representative, they left immediately, boarding the tube to the castle. The tube was simply a tube, in which resided a train that went up to around 120 miles an hour. It was the main transportation for long distance traveling.

"Wait! I didn't get to say goodbye! " I say frantically to Niles.

"Arietta you know the rules, you must leave immediately. I'll tell you a little secret though, you will see your parents again. The King allows the last three representatives to see their family, it should only be a month."

That didn't help much.. But it helped some what. I couldn't bring my clothes either, you got all new clothes as you boarded the tube.

The doors to the tube opened as Niles scanned his hand. Hesitantly I took a step forward, turning to look at Niles one last time.

He smiles, " Good luck."

And with that I'm off, heading towards my future at 120 miles per hour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
So new story.. Hope you all like it. If you have any questions feel free to ask!