Chapter Three

We heard gunfire and knew that they hadn't left quite yet. Ardeth and I exchanged glances and I pulled Alex closer to me and we ran out the door in time to see the cars driving away and the sound of more gunfire.

We quickly spotted Rick and Jonathan and ran over to them, Alex running up ahead. "Dad! Dad!"

"Are you alright?" He asked, picking up his son.

"Yeah."

"Yeah? Okay." He looked over at me as he put Alex back down. "You?"

I nodded.

"O'Connell." Ardeth greeted.

I sighed and rolled my eyes as Rick, being Rick, pinned Ardeth to the post. "What are you doing here? No, scratch that. I don't care." He let him go. "Who are those guys?" Where are they taking my wife?"

Ardeth placed his hands on Rick's shoulders. "My friend, I'm not sure." He let go, and pulled out a photograph. "But wherever this man is, your wife will surely be."

Alex grabbed it and we all looked at him. "Hey, I know him." He said. "He's the curator. He works at the British Museum."

"Are you sure?"

"Believe him. He spends more time there than at home." He led Alex towards the car. Ardeth touched my shoulder and we and Jonathan ran after them.

"You're here, the bad guys are here, Evy's been kidnapped. Let me guess." Rick said. I had a bad feeling about the answer.

"Yes, they once again removed the creature from his grave."

I groaned a bit. "I was afraid you'd say that." I sighed.

"I don't mean to point fingers," Jonathan started. "But isn't it your job to make sure that doesn't happen?"

I rolled my eyes at my cousin and jabbed him in the ribs with my elbow, and ignored the look he gave me.

"That woman who was with him, she knows things that no living person could possibly know." He looked at Rick. "She knew exactly where the creature was buried." He looked straight ahead. "We were hoping that she would lead us to the bracelet. She obviously did. And now they have it." By now, we had reached the car.

"I wouldn't get too nervous just yet." Alex said, and I narrowed my eyes. What had that kid done now?

"Alex, what did you do?"

He held up his arm and pulled his sleeve up. My eyes widened. When had he done that? Ardeth touched it with his hands.

"Is that gold?" Jonathan asked, and I hit him in his head, not paying any attention to whatever look that he may have given me.

"When I stuck it on, I saw the pyramids at Giza." Alex said. "Then whoosh! Straight across the desert to Karnak."

"By putting this on, you have started a chain reaction that could bring the next apocalypse." Ardeth said, looking right at him. And Alex gasped.

Rick did not look amused. He pointed at Ardeth. "You, lighten up." Then at Alex. "You, big trouble." Then at Jonathan and me. "You two, get in the car." He opened Alex's door and steered him in. We all got in, Jonathan behind Ardeth, me behind Rick and Alex in the middle.

"I am sorry if I alarmed your son, but you must understand, now that the bracelet is on his wrist, we only have seven days before the Scorpion King awakens." Ardeth said.

"We? What we?" Rick looked flabbergasted.

"If he is not killed, he will raise the army of Anubis."