Guilt-Ridden

There comes a moment when you have faith within yourself that eventually with time everything will be alright. And everything happens for a good reason you just need to find that good reason and carry on with your life.

Naina's POV

As I walked back towards my house hugging my jacket close, I thought about the way my life was unfurling itself. I was not happy the way my life choose to unfurl itself but I could neither complain! Instead, I was trying to embrace all of it and keep telling myself soon everything will be over and will be fine I just need to be calm.

With every step I took, I felt better. My anger was gone and I was feeling much more at ease. I also made a mental note to apologize to my parents and to my brother for my sudden outburst and probably they would forgive me. When I was standing outside of my house our car was not there and when I tried to open the door it was locked.

It felt strange as if something isn't right. Luckily I had the spare key so I opened the door and went inside. Everything was quiet and still as if there is no one in there. There was no sound. I called my mom, dad, and brother using the landline but there was no response. I started to feel uneasy. All sorts of thoughts made its way into my head as I repeatedly call them but no one picked up my call. Were they that upset?

When I took my phone out it has 30 Missed calls all either from my brother or from dad. Just when I was about to dial my brother's phone number again I heard someone on the door and ran towards it thinking it has to be my parents. The moment I opened the door my brother stood there looking exhausted and his eyes were bloodshot red.

Has he been crying? Without saying a single word he stormed past me and taunt me by saying," look who is finally home?" I was surprised seeing the anger in his eyes.

Recovering quickly I said,' I am extremely sorry for what I did this morning Bhai. I shouldn't have done it!'

"Of course you should be sorry Naina and guess what you are too late to say sorry! What do you think of yourself Naina? I know what you have gone through but even after that, you don't have any right to yell at your own parents the way you did today. You are completely blind. I understand you don't want to marry but you should have given it at least a chance but no you are too selfish Naina and stubborn. Trust me just because of you, we all are facing this!" He snapped at me angrily.

Oh my God, what have I done now?

"What do you mean by that Bhai? And trust me you don't have any idea what I went through. You were too busy in America that you know nothing. They have always done what suited them and have always tried to rule my life without even caring what I want! In my whole life, I never took any decision of my life and never argued about it. Just this time when I tried to say something everything went just wrong. What happened now Bhai? What have I done now?" I asked him trying hard not to let my tears fall but this time my betrayed me and I felt hot water droplets hitting my cheeks.

"The moment you left mom started feeling uneasy. Firstly we thought that it was just blood pressure but then her pain became worst and we rush her to the hospital and the doctor said she had a silent heart attack." My brother told me closing his eyes.

It felt like someone hit me with a rock. I was not able to see clearly and I just couldn't hold it in and straight went to the bathroom and puked.

Oh shit, what have I done this time? I didn't even care to receive their calls. When they needed me I wasn't there. I was crying as if as I was in a lot of pain, indeed I was in a lot of pain just when I thought everything will be fine all of this happened. I was feeling disgusted with myself. How could I let that happen?

A hand rested on my shoulder and I immediately knew who it was and wrapped my self in my brother's arm and sobbed. I knew he was crying too.

"I am so sorry Bhai. You are right I am too selfish, arrogant and Selfish. You are right I just think about myself that is it. Our mom is suffering just because of me. And I will never be able to forgive myself for this." I said in between my sobs and then cried much harder.

My brother tried to cajole me and said," Naina we need to go to the hospital. Mom is critical and dad is devastated. He is also worried about you and I came here to take some documents with me. I have to go."

"Bhai can I come with you?" I asked him unsure of what is answer will be. It was almost a whisper.

"Of course you can and also I am not leaving you all by yourself. Just look at yourself in the mirror Naina. Get up and I am going to the other room to gather all the medical insurance papers. Everything will be alright Naina. Just give it some time, you are feeling guilty is all that matters right now. Come downstairs as soon as it's possible. We have to reach hospital asap!" He said and left.

I felt nothing at that moment and when I looked at myself in the mirror I was terrified of seeing my own reflection. I was looking like a ghost, my eyes were swollen. Just one hour ago when I was walking back I was happy and feeling stability in my life and in this one hour again everything just got ruined just because of me again!

After running my hands through my hair and tying them in a ponytail, I washed my face the cold water felt good against my hot face. Before my eyes could produce fresh tears I came downstairs and locking our house I followed my brother...

This is the reality of Ms. Naina Kapoor's life. She is broken and yet she is standing there in hope that everything will get over soon and she will be able to live her life the way she wants to. But little did she know what is going to come next.

Please vote and support. Don't think that Naina is weak because she is not just put yourselves in her shoes and think what you will do in a situation like this!