Chapter Sixteen: Fake Outs Aren't Funny

I awoke to bright sunlight that flowed into the yellow room and lit it up like a light bulb. It was only 7:30 but the sun was so bright. I reluctantly got up from the bed and changed into jean shorts and v-neck for the day. I crept into the kitchen and living area to find Christina already sitting on the kitchen counter with her hands glued to her iPhone.

“Who have you been texting this whole time?” I interrupted her thoughts and she jerked up to see me and jumped back a bit from me startling her. She put her phone into her pocket.

“No one. Just got addicted to a game.” she looked a little guilty.

“Which one?”

“Fruit Ninja.”

“I see.” I still didn't quite believe her. She had been on her phone almost 24/7 since we headed out to the beach yesterday. It wasn't like her to be texting people so often. I was her best friend and as I far as I knew she didn't have more than one or two more friends, and they were just her cousins. I just shrugged off her weird behavior. I heard her phone buzz and she whipped it out quick as a whip. I looked at her skeptically.

“Twitter update.” she used as an excuse.

Usually I would totally and completely trust my best friend. But also as her BFF, I knew that she didn't have Twitter.

Sammy came into the kitchen next. She walked in shamelessly with her old ratty PJ's and rubbing her eyes. Her hair looked like Iris had gotten to it and I hoped she had at least had the decency to brush her teeth for the rest of us.

“Are the girls awake?” I asked.

“Nope, Brit's going to wake them up.” she yawned slowly.

Brit joined our little group seconds later barking orders as she always seemed to be doing.

“Go get dressed. The girls want to go to another beach today. I'll go bring breakfast up here today and try to avoid another 'incident'.” She put air quotes around the word 'incident' and left the room to go downstairs and retrieve some eggs and toast for us.

I changed into another swimsuit and packed a beach bag full of towels, sunscreen, and water. I brought the bag out into the kitchen along with my satchel. Iris and Piper were sitting at a small table all dressed in their beach clothes already. Christina sat with them, phone in hand, and Sammy came out after I did all changed.

Brit came up with our breakfast and the girls ate quickly as did the rest of us.

“I want to go to the Red Beach today!” Iris exclaimed between her giant bites of scrambled eggs.

“Yeah, that one!” Piper added.

“Okay, we will go there today.” I answered. The night before I had looked up some the area beaches on Santorini and had heard about the Red Beach. As the name points out, the sand there is red because of the two volcanoes near the beach. I was hoping the girls would want to go there sometime because I wanted to. I remembered to pack my camera into my satchel unlike the day before.

We set out for the Red Beach and the town of Akrotiri at 8:30 that morning.

That day was getting off to another slow start with just sitting for hours at cool beach, trying to tan and read my book. Don't get me wrong it's not like I hate the beach, more like I find it incredibly boring. Just sitting there, the sun's rays constantly reminding you about global warming and skin cancer paired with the tiny grains of sand that find their way into your hair and in between your toes. I wanted to be tan but the process was just so dull. The beach was not my ideal location to spend my day at. I would have been way happier with staying pool side at the hotel where I would swim in the warm water. The only part I enjoyed about the Red Beach was all the pictures I had been taking. But that only occupied my attention for so long before I succumbed to boredom. I had gotten more than enough amazing pictures of Santorini and so I settled on taking a souvenir.