v

how i wish, how i wish you were here
we're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl
year after year
running over the same old ground. what have we found?
the same old fears
wish you were here
-pink floyd, wish you were here

it took me about 10 minutes to walk home, and no one seemed to notice me leaving. maybe they did notice, but didn't care. i never know if i'm invisible to those around me or ignored.

i scrunched my eyebrows in confusion when i saw a large white truck parked behind marcus's car. there was once a logo on the side, but it had been worn away so much i couldn't make out what it was.

i started to reach for my key in my bag when i noticed the door was slightly open. i could hear mumbled voices coming from inside. walking in, i nearly screamed at the sight.

men and women all wearing matching tattered navy blue uniforms were picking up the furniture in the living room and placing other objects in boxes. some things, like the tv and bookshelves, were already gone.

"what is going on?" i yelled, looking around for marcus. i saw him walking up the basement steps, talking to one of the blue uniformed women. they seemed to be in a disagreement.

"rosie, you're home." marcus seemed relieved to see me, and immediately excused himself from his conversation with the lady and walked over to me. i dropped my backpack on the floor and placed my hands on my hips. "what is going on?" i repeated.

"we're leaving" marcus said matter-of-factly. my mouth fell open and millions of questions poured out at once.

"what?"

"are you joking?"

"where are we going?"

"why-"

marcus shushed me, his face pale. "you see..." he started, rubbing the back of his neck. "it's been a while since i paid the rent."

i felt my heart stop. "what about your job? where did all the money go?" marcus didn't answer. he didn't have to. i smelled the answer to my question on his breath. alcohol. what else would it be?

i picked up my backpack and stormed down the hall, shoving my way past a man and woman lifting up the couch in my living room.

when i got to my room i slammed the door shut and sat on my bed, immediately looking around to make sure everything was there. i sighed in relief as i realized nothing was touched. "fuck!" i cried out and collapsed face first. i couldn't leave. there was no way i was leaving this place. what if we left silver creek? what if we left the state? what if i never saw anyone here again?

i shoved my face into my pillow and sobbed. i thought i was done with leaving. done with loss. for two years i had finally made a decent home with marcus, gotten used to the old stone two-story house at 256 Maple Avenue. you'd think i'd learn by now that nothing is forever, and as soon as everything seems to be going well, life throws a curveball at you that you're not expecting.

i didn't know how much time had passed as i laid on my bed crying. it could've been minutes or hours. i didn't care. i got up eventually and composed myself.

i took a deep breath as i picked up my phone. my finger's automatically flew to the first contact they thought of, the person i knew talking to would never fail to lift my spirits.

the line rang two times before he picked up. "hey rosalie! what's up?" keith said on the other end.

i explained my current situation to him, and even though i couldn't see him, i could picture keith nodding along intently, listening to every word i said. "... and i just need to be distracted by something to take my mind off of everything." i finished.