Chapter 1 - Zaan

I stared at the bags that have been neatly packed by a few of the helpers at Grandfather's home. Was this a joke? Was he just pulling my leg? Marriage? Am I dreaming? But if it truly was a dream, I would not be able to feel his hand on my shoulder. I was too shocked to even speak. My mind refused to process what I had just heard.

"Harper my dear, the reason you had so many restrictions growing up was because of Papa's promise to my friend," Papa spoke softly.

He knew I was hurt and upset yet; his mind was set on this promise he had made to his old friend. How does one easily accept that their fate had been written by someone else other than themselves?

"And you believe this is what is best for me? Even when I am this hurt?" I questioned him with tears pooling in my eyes.

"Your parents had no say in it too. My promise is done with good purpose. Please be a good girl Harper. Please understand that what Papa did is for your own good." He persuaded.

For my own good? I can't understand how forcing me into a marriage I do not agree with is for my own good. I feel like an object that can be easily sold and bought. Is that my worth to both my parents and grandfather? Am I just an item? ClearIy I have never been seen as human to them which is why they treated me the way they did. I understand it now, why they kept me away from the public eye and hid me in their big house, far away from the eyes of other men.

I brushed his hand away and followed the chauffeur who collected my bags to the car that was parked outside the door. I gave one last look at the place I thought was my home before making my way into the car. As the car drove further and further away, the heavier the betrayal felt.

So, this is why my mother never loved me. She fancied her sons so much more and I was always envious of my brothers. As a woman, she did not help me fight for my rights or stand up for me. She went along with whatever plans my grandfather had. The man I'm about to marry must be rich enough for even my father to stand by his decision quietly. This is not a marriage, it will be a union of stocks and money. As much as I know nothing about my future husband, I carry the name of my family with me. I can choose to uphold the family's pride or shatter it.

As the car came to a halt, I went to the boot and grabbed my bags. I kindly sent my chauffer off and stared at the fading car until it was out of sight. I slowly turned to face the large double doors that greeted me, and I could not help but feel intimidated by them. I was entering unchartered territory and I had no idea what to expect. Would I be greeted warmly, or would I be ignored?

I slowly reached out to the doorbell and as my finger loomed over the button, a thought hit me - what if I run away? There is no one to stop me. I am no longer at home, where I am constantly being followed and observed. I can be free but yet; my heart feels uneasy. Deep down I knew that it would not be the right thing to do. If I run away now, it would only damage the reputation of both families and I know for a fact that I will not be able to live with that guilt.

I took a deep breath in and quickly pressed the doorbell before I changed my mind again. The doors opened and I was greeted by a lady whom I presumed was the housekeeper.

"Are you Ms. Harper?" She asked me in a very clipped tone.

I nodded my head and gave her a small smile in reply. She made way for me to enter and I waited for her to close the door, so she could lead me to wherever I was supposed to go.

"Anna, will you please get Ms. Harper's bags and put them in the guest room." She instructed one of the maids.

Anna efficiently collected my bags from me and made her way up the stairs that greeted the guests the moment they step in.