Chapter 17: Khushi

Cheeks heated with embarrassment, Khushi glanced over at Di and Nanhe-ji. They gave no indication that they'd noticed anything. She couldn't believe they'd been so engrossed in each other that they'd forgotten where they were. The rest of the movie passed in a blur. Di and Nanhe-ji wanted to discuss the movie when it ended, but Khushi couldn't concentrate. The smallest movement from her husband made her pulse race. She was aware of every breath he took. He'd tried to get her alone all day and she'd avoided him, partly out of nervousness and partly because she wanted privacy and time. They needed both to satiate their desire for one another. Now, Khushi felt helpless with need.

When they were finally alone, he took her hand and pulled her close.

"Let's go," he whispered.

He led her to their room, locking the door behind them while Khushi stood near the sofa. She fiddled with the jacket and vest he'd thrown there earlier. Arnav-ji was suddenly behind her, holding her close. She turned and buried herself in his arms.

"I missed you so much. I was so worried for you. I know I've been acting like a clingy wife these past few weeks. I called you and texted you and spent all my time wanting to know you were safe. I'm sorry."

"Khushi," he placed a hand on her head, "your worry is your love. We both know what happened the last time. It's going to take some time for you to feel comfortable with me going away."

"I know you have to travel for work. I'll try to deal with my anxiety."

"We'll work it out together. Everything will be fine," he dropped a kiss into her hair.

Khushi moved her hands up and interlocked her fingers behind his neck. She gazed up at him, hardly believing her luck that she had found this amazing man and was now his wife. He shifted under her scrutiny, his smile faltering.

"What?"

"I was thinking that I'm lucky that I have such a great husband. A handsome, kind, strong, and dedicated husband, who loves me so much he'll make jalebis for me."

"Mmmm," he smiled, "he sounds great. What if he finds me here?"

"Arnav-ji!"

She poked his chest and he caught her hand, holding it over his heart.

"Khushi, you promised you would do anything for me if I watched your movie with you."

"Y-yes."

"I know what I want you to do."