Chapter Four

“What do you mean ‘Devin can’t die’?” I asked him. A cold chill of fear went through my body as I sort of believe in what he’s saying.

“I can explain everything but we need to get somewhere safe. We need to wake the others, you get Mitchell and I’ll get Dane”

I reluctantly nodded and walked over to Mitchell’s limp body. He didn’t look good. His skin was pale from head to toe and any part of his body was either drenched in water or bruised from the hard sand. I moved his head to see if he was still breathing. Luckily he was, but he was unconscious. I hauled his body of my shoulder and was glad that he was so skinny.

“Bring him over here Thomas” I heard my father’s voice in the distance. I walked over to him to see an old Jeep. Its wheels were rusted and falling apart and the last white paintjob was done at least twenty years ago. It had no roof which was a shame as it was starting to rain, not that it mattered that much, we are already drenched in water. The steering wheel was as large a dinner plate and the seats were made from brown leather however the springs were visible and looked very uncomfortable.

“I ‘this’ seriously your ride?” I asked pointing at the car which strongly resembled scrap metal.

“Just get in” my Dad replied with a stern look on his face. We put Mitchell and Dane who were both unconscious in the back and I hopped in the front seat as my father drove on a thin tarmac road for a bout ten minutes before stopping at an isolated hotel. During the drive I couldn’t see much apart from the beach as it was dark and raining.

...

The Hotel was made from red brick and had a bright florescent light that said ‘the coastal retreat’. It wasn’t that tall probably only four or five stories tall but it was wide and had around seven apartments per floor. He paid for a room and I carried Mitchell up a flight of stairs and realised that he was awake the whole time. I put him on his feet and held his steady in case he couldn’t stand.

“Mitchell are you ok?” I asked concerned that he might need medical attention.

“Uh…um… I guess” He slowly replied confused to where he was and why he was unconscious. I turned to the hotel room door. It was wooded and painted red with a silver knocker and the number ‘four’ above it made from the same material. I opened the door to see small yet clean and tidy room with two singe beds, a small balcony, a fridge and a table with one chair. Dad was laying Dane onto one of the beds before walking towards us.

“Mitchell you can sleep on the bed, as for Thomas you can sleep on the floor, we will talk I the morning” He said in a low tone before he secured the door, walked to the chair and sat down. I was too tired to argue. I lay down on the soft carpet and closed my eyes.

 ...

I woke suddenly to the sound of boiling water and the suns radiant light in my eye, Mitchell was having his most important meal of the day. Coffee. I stood up to find myself completely dry. How long has it been? I walked over to my Dad and Dane, Mitchell following closely behind me.

“Dad, I think it’s time you explain everything” I demanded with the emphasis on ‘everything’.

“Very well Thomas” he agreed and proceeded to talk “A long time ago it was believed that a small group of hero’s with supernatural abilities called the ‘Iroas’ fought a great war against Demons who’s victory decided the fate of the Earth. This battle was fought over hundreds of years and luckily for us the ‘Iroas’ won however the Demons were never fully destroyed. You, Dane and I are descendants of the ‘Iroas’ that is why Dane is telekinetic, you can see the future and I can teleport. It’s in our blood.” He paused for a strange moment looked at us and began talking again. “Now to answer your other questions. Firstly where are we? We are at the southern coast of England, why? Because you are not safe alone out there, all of you, more and more descendants of ‘Iroas’ are dying every day at the at the hands of Demons and what makes it worse is that the Demons are getting stronger and larger in numbers significantly. But there is hope, there is a safe haven for the ‘Iroas’ in London and that is where I’m taking you. Now to the important question… Where was I all of your life? The truth is that your mother didn’t die from a disease, she died giving birth to your brother. Dane” What? I felt like punching my Dad then and there. I clenched my fists but Mitchell quickly grabbed me.

“Um… Let’s go outside Thomas and get some fresh air.” Mitchell gestured awkwardly. I desperately wanted to know the full story about Dane but I Mitchell was right to stop me before I did something irrational. Mitchell and I walked out of the room, down the staircase, out of the hotel and down to beach.

...

“I can’t believe him.” I yelled as I tried skimming rocks to no avail “Where has he been all my life? How does he think that he can come out of nowhere and take me to this stupid country and how could Dane be my brother?”

“I’m sure he has valid answers, he is your father isn’t he” Mitchell suggested

“That doesn’t change anything” I spat out the words like a bad tasting food.

“I know, and you’re right it shouldn’t but you have to admit Dane does look a lot like you having shaggy browny blondish hair, brown eyes and being short for your age. Sounds a lot like you Thomas. Plus why would George (my Dad) take Dane with us if he hadn’t previously known him” Mitchell replied. Maybe Mitchell was right. Maybe Dane was my brother, even if it’s true. What do I do next?

 ...

Thirty- five boring minutes passed when we anonymously decided to head back into the hotel room. When we entered Dane was playing telekinetically with his tennis ball and George was reading a British newspaper. He saw us and his expression changed from boredom to a sombre complexion.

 “Thomas I owe you an apology. No. An explanation. Well here it goes. When you were five years old your mother died giving birth to your brother I realised that you two were different like me and I knew that I you two you could be found if I was with you that’s why you both had to live with your aunts. Do you forgive me?” George elucidated. I thought for I while to make sense of the situation and finally made my decision.

“Yes, I guess so” I replied quietly while looking at my feet.

“Thank you son, I will not let you down” whispered George

“What now?” Questioned Mitchell.

“We leave for London tomorrow morning at 5:00 am” answered George. “The drive will take up to two hours to drive there. Hopefully the weather is for as all know it has no roof.” Everyone agreed that we should leave soon but have another nights rest so everyone was content.

  ...

The next morning we did what was planned. Woke up at five, got in the jeep straight away (for we had nothing to pack) and drove on the narrow road for about one hour or so before stopping at a remote diner for breakfast and coffee. We strolled in and to the front counter. The interior of the building low key but clean, it was small but there were a fair amount of people eating and it seemed to be quite busy.

‘Three coffees and one orange juice please” George asked the lady at the counter while messing Dane’s hair. We were all enjoying ourselves. We were happy, until the vision.

 My eyes rolled to the back of head as vibrant flashing images invaded my brain. The room muted to gray and suddenly I could see it all clearly in my mind. The large man from the left front corner of the diner with a dark complexion and shaved head stood up and his brown eyes turned foggy as his rough hands fell of and melted into the tiles. White hot pokers came out of his forearm replacing his former hands and his small white teeth morphed into large fangs. His body grew twice in size and teared his shirt when he arched his backed. He took a step towards us and...

“We need to leave now’ I whispered to the others, but it was too late.

End of Chapter 4, hope you liked it :)