thirty four

My parents spend the entire car ride talking about the politician that stole 13 billion pounds from Nigeria, and of course this is a conversation that I am very interested in listening to.

We drive into a gated estate called, Canvey Island, and I begin to stare at the houses praying that one day I might live somewhere like this. It's not that my parents couldn't afford it, but there are other things they'd rather use the money for than a five bedroom house in one of the fanciest estates in Washington.

Canvey Island, is built in the middle of a lagoon and you have the cross a bridge to get to it.

The roads are empty and I'm starting to think it's because everyone who lives here is at the Adenuga house.

The GPS directs us to a road that is brightly lit and seems to only have a few houses along it. One is the house where this party is being held.

The closer we get to the house, the more I feel my stomach turn. I always had a little bit of social anxiety but it seemed to have gotten worse over the last few months. Year even.

My dad parks on the side of the road, where a few people in suits and dresses, walk down the sidewalk towards the mansion.

As soon as I open my door, I use a bit too much force and mistakenly hit a tall man in a black tuxedo.

"I'm sorry. Are you okay?" I say to the person as the brush their shoulder, my mum's eyes burning the back of my neck for not looking before I swung the car door open.

"My mistake." Derek turns to me, looking unharmed.