Chapter 1

My Vampire Heart

3rd Person POV

"So this Kol guy did that to your hand?" Bonnie asks her friend, Matt Donavon, as she points to the bandages wrapped tightly around his right hand. Matt only glances at her for a split second before continuing to wipe down the tables of the Mystic Grill. "Matt, I'm so sorry."

"Yeah," Matt says disappointingly. He furiously tosses the washrag upon his shoulder as he goes behind the bar, Bonnie following closely behind. She watches as the blonde haired blue eyed teenager shake his head as he looks up at the alcohol bottles before him, lost in a stream of endless thoughts. "Y'know, Bonnie, I don't know how you're able to do it." The young girl gives a saddened look for she's more than confident in what he's trying to say. Still, she humors Matt and his statement with a tilt of her head as he turns to look at her.

"Able to do what?" She asks.

"Be so strong," the boy replies. "Being able to block out all this craziness that seems to never end in this town. All these near-death experiences that just won't stop." 'You haven't the slightest clue', Bonnie thinks solemnly to herself. Though instead of speaking what she's thinking, the young witch merely smiles at her friend and shrugs her shoulders.

"We all have our strengths and weaknesses, Matt," Bonnie reassures, "and we use both to survive."

"I don't have the strengths you, Caroline or even Damon have. If I did, then maybe I would have been able to defend myself against Kol back at that party? Maybe I wouldn't be so useless to everybody?"

"Who said you're useless?"

"Nobody, but-"

"Then what you just said is irrelevant," Bonnie cuts off her friend's sentence. Matt can do nothing but sigh as he rubs the back of his head with his good hand. "Matt, if it weren't for you, Caroline and Tyler might not even be alive right now. If it weren't for you, the truth about hybrids wouldn't have come out and Elena would be dead." He is silent, trying to take everything that the girl is saying into consideration. "You've done more as a human waiter than most have done as a vampire or witch. You should be proud of that.... So don't forget that."

Matt merely chuckles at Bonnie's words as a small smile stretches across his face. "Technically I'm more of a busboy than a waiter," he says playfully causing the two of them to smile among each other. Matt nods his head as he catches the attention of a patron raising their hand for assistance. he then starts to make way towards the customer but not before giving Bonnie a warm hug goodbye, and giving his thanks for the pep-talk. Bonnie give just as warm a hug back before saying goodbye to her friend as well, making her way outside of the establishment towards her car.

On route to her car, the young woman is taken in by the sound of a muffled ring-tone going off inside the purse clutched tightly on her shoulder:

Bonnie ruffles through the useless crap in her purse (she doesn't even know why she carries most of the things she does) until she is able to reach her cell phone and answer it, placing it between her ear and shoulder while trying to open her car door with a handful of keys.

"Hello?" Bonnie says on the other end of the phone.

"Klaus is in love with me!" A squeaky voice on the receiving end of the cell phone is only met with silence and an inquisitive expression from the caramel-skinned woman forms.

"...Caroline?" Bonnie utters aloud as she opens the door to her car and hops inside.

"First he sends me this dress which, okay, was pretty but still pretty creepy, right? Then when I get to the ball he's trying to get me to go on a horse and carriage ride and then he shows me these paintings and then he..."