Chapter 15

The doorbell rang and Eduardo jumped up from where he was reading the newspaper sitting with his back to the sunshine streaming in through the window, the corners of the paper being lifted repeatedly by the waft of the fan.

“Eddie!  Are you coming tonight?”  Rhonda greeted Eduardo with familiarity.

“Yes, of course.  I haven’t really done my homework……but it’ll be fun anyway.  Tell me…….”  Eduardo hesitated as he considered the best way to ask the question.

Eduardo was 60 and had been widowed 10 years earlier.  He and his wife had no children but had filled their days with hobbies and community activities, enjoying friendships with people of all ages and backgrounds.  Eduardo still worked as a family doctor, having longstanding relationships with his many loyal patients and looking after several generations of many families.  But still, the loss of his wife to breast cancer had stolen the colour from his world, and he was starting to yearn for something brighter than pastel again.

“……. How well do you know Judith?” Eduardo nervously rubbed his forehead as he asked the question.

Rhonda, tall with gingery-red hair, grinned, her blue eyes lit by a sparkle.  Always discrete, and very intuitive, she answered calmly while quietly giving herself a high-five on the inside.

“Well, I’ve worked with Judith for 10 years now, and she’s one of the most professional people I know.  She’s kind and I think most people would be surprised to discover just how funny she is.”

A delicate scent arose from the old-fashioned lilac rose as Rhonda brushed past it on her way out.  She turned back to Eduardo, waiting at the front door, a slight flush rising above his soft white beard.

“Judith loves fresh flowers in her home but I noticed there wasn’t much blooming in her garden when I was there last week.”  Rhonda looked pointedly at Eduardo’s carefully-tended roses in the front garden.  “See you tonight!”  And with a wave of her hand Rhonda disappeared down the path and into her own garden next door.