Chapter Seven

The doctor looked at Amy in astonishment.  That was some first comment!  Looking at Amy’s abdomen, the doctor simply responded, “Well hop up on the couch and we’ll see how far along you are.”  By palpating her now obviously pregnant belly, and using a tape measure, Dr Potts was able to ascertain that Amy was about 7 months along.  She could hear the baby’s heartbeat and it sounded quite healthy.  Amy herself looked a little under-nourished, but she had a flush in her cheeks.

 “It must have happened right before….”

 Dr Potts answered cautiously “The dates would fit with that, but we’ll need to have an ultrasound to be sure.”

 “What is going to happen?”  Amy's voice rasped with disuse. The question was ambiguous but Dr Potts knew exactly what Amy meant.

 “That depends on what the psychiatrist thinks after his assessment.  If you stay here, the baby won’t be able to stay with you – the hospital couldn’t provide the facilities to look after a newborn.  If you go back to Beeches, I think some inmates are allowed to keep their babies for a certain length of time, but it will depend on unravelling a lot of red tape.”  Dr Potts replied briefly with a degree of kindness.

   Amy was quiet again.  She wouldn’t be able to keep her baby.  With all that she had already lost, this seemed the final straw.  She would fight for her baby – she would do her very best to nourish the baby while it grew, and for as long afterwards as she was allowed to.  And she would do all she could to find a good home for her baby, until she was free to be a mother.  Amy clenched her eyes tightly closed as tears rushed forth.  Her baby must have the opportunities that Amy herself had lost.  This baby was going to be Amy’s last chance to change the world.