Five - Closure

Tim sits in the recliner he has in the living room facing the tv.  To his right, the sun is shining through the open blinds.  He's back to square one; being alone.  Maybe Tyra was right, it's time to grow up and start acting like an adult.  He's 23 now - he's supposed to be an adult.  It's too late to get Tyra back.  That's not what he wants but it's better than spending nights alone.  Maybe if he plays it just right, she will cave back in to him.  She has loved him since she was five years old after all...

"Wow," Brock says through the line.  "So that's it then.  You're breaking up with me over a phone call?" Lyla sighs to herself.  Yes, this wasn't the best way to break up with him but if she does go back to Nashville, she knows she will chicken out and never make it back here: home, with Tim.  "I know it's childish and i'm sorry but... this is where I belong.  Texas."  Brock huffs and she can tell he's getting frustrated.  "No, Lyla, that's not where you belong.  I know you went down for your father's funeral and i'm sorry for what you're going through but I don't believe that.  You've told me thousands of times how much you hate that place and you're happier now than you ever were there."  Lyla stays quiet as she drives down the side-street.  She did tell him that but she thought if she said it enough, she would convince herself to believe it.  Brock knows about Tim and she hopes he doesn't connect the dots.  Even if he does, she won't see him again to confront it.  As if reading her mind, Brock says, "It's because of him isn't it?  You saw that... Jim, or whoever it is, and he told you to stay."  Annoyed at his mistake, Lyla rolls her eyes.  "It's Tim.  And no, he didn't ask me to stay.  This is my own doing.  You don't understand and I don't expect you too but this is where I need to be.  I just needed to come home to realize it."  Brock doesn't say anything but lets out a defeated sigh.  "Well then," he finally says, all hope gone from his voice.  Lyla hates herself for doing it like this and hurting him but it's now or never.  "I hope you're happy." he finishes.  She pulls down the gravel driveway and enters the woods that takes her to the beautiful brick house.  Parking the car, she smiles at the sight in front of her, excitement filling her body.  "I am." she says.

At the sound of tires coming down the driveway, Tim looks out the window and sees a red Honda Civic parked in his driveway.  At first he thinks he sees Lyla getting out but that's the buzz he's got going.  Taking another sip of the beer, the knock at the door causes him to get up and walk to the door.  Opening it, his eyes grow wide at Lyla standing in the doorway, a big smile on her lips.  "Shouldn't you be on your way back to Tennessee?" he asks, she can smell the alcohol on his breath.  Looking down, she sees the bottle in his hands, maybe this wasn't such a good idea.  "I decided to not go." she says.

"Why not?" 

Looking into his eyes, Lyla sees the real Tim, the one that she's needed all along just like he needs her.  "I'm not running away anymore, Tim.  It took coming home for me to see that you're what I need." stepping into the house, she clings onto his shirt and pulls him closer.  Lifting up on her toes, she kisses him and for the first time in five years, they both feel complete.  Wrapping his arms around her waist, Tim kisses her back.  This is what he's dreamed of every night she's been gone.  Kissing her again feels so right and he's going to go everything in his power to feel her lips on his everyday.  "I love you, Tim." she whispers.  He smiles.  

"I love you too." He whispers back.

He picks her up in his arms, still kissing her, and walks them both to the bedroom.

********************

"Are you sure you want to do this, Eric?" Charles, the president of the Dallas Cowboys franchise asks.  Eric purses his lips together and nods slowly.  All of the years he's spent coaching this sport has to led to this opportunity.  He can't believe it's come down to this.  Of course when faced with the decision of work or family, he will choose family any day.